What's new

New Too This -- Someone Help?! (1 Viewer)

zDrFeelGoodz

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Hansford
Ok, so my "home theater" is a bit of a mess. It's my first attempt at something like this and I would say it's definitely a budget room. Some might say it's a bit of a game room instead of a home theater, but I like to think of it as both. The games lead to my problem though - as I have too many. I have a Ps3, Ps4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and a Wii U.
All 7 of these need to be connected through HDMI, but I also need optical audio from all of them to my Vizio 5.1 surround setup. The soundbar only has one optical input. I think what I need is something along the lines of a 4x1 HDMI switch with Optical out. So, first of all, if anyone can help me in that department, PLEASE do? I've been looking around for them and have only found a couple. Each seem to have their own problems, so maybe you guys can find something better.
Secondly, there's going to be too many remote's if this happens. I'll have the Dish remote, the TV remote, the Soundbar remote, and the Switch remote. Is there any universal remote that I can use to control all of this? I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. Any questions just ask.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
An HDMI switch with "removed toslink" won't do anything for you if you intend to still have 5.1(the HDMI switch will dumb your audio down to 2.0 PCM...don't doubt that. This is the 5th, this month, thread on the subject)

Your best option is buying a real 5.1 AVR with HDMI inputs and getting rid of the Vizio.

zDrFeelGoodz

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Hansford
schan1269 said:
Your other option is to buy two of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102946-Optical-TosLink-Bi-Directional/dp/B0097IWZRC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386301894&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+switch

And run one into the other, giving you a total of 5 connections.

If you want 5.1. There is no other way, at all....none.
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Audio-Selector-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B003C15798/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1386384207&sr=8-10&keywords=optical+splitter
Okay so now that I know I don't have a plethora of options, could I use that instead? Seems to be basically the same thing as what you have shown me. I would only buy one as I'd at least have most of my consoles running at 5.1.

zDrFeelGoodz

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Hansford
schan1269 said:
An HDMI switch with "removed toslink" won't do anything for you if you intend to still have 5.1(the HDMI switch will dumb your audio down to 2.0 PCM...don't doubt that. This is the 5th, this month, thread on the subject)

Your best option is buying a real 5.1 AVR with HDMI inputs and getting rid of the Vizio.
Could anyone help me find a receiver and speaker set that best suits my issue? I'm in the $500 price range at the moment. It doesn't have to be audiophile material, just good enough to make the room shake.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
zDrFeelGoodz said:
http://www.amazon.com/Control-Audio-Selector-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B003C15798/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1386384207&sr=8-10&keywords=optical+splitter
Okay so now that I know I don't have a plethora of options, could I use that instead? Seems to be basically the same thing as what you have shown me. I would only buy one as I'd at least have most of my consoles running at 5.1.
You're the second person to find that exact one to solve an issue with toslink...curious(the other guy is dealing with a Sonos Playbar)

For $500 with the 2nd idea(money better spent)
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5600-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00BLGUKFC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386389722&sr=1-1&keywords=ht-s5600 (yeah, I know...$580)

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5500/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7.1-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html (great site...don't be worried about "refurb". There are more there than this 5500. But that price is hard to beat)

zDrFeelGoodz

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Hansford
Well I think I've decided to go with the separate Toslink splitter and HDMI splitter for now, and later on, after I've saved up, I'll sell the Vizio and go all out on the sound system. I feel like if I buy the Onkyo right now I won't be getting the step up in quality that I'd like to have for taking the time and money to do it. But that website you showed me was astounding, if I had seen this 2 months ago I would never have bought that Vizio. Thanks a lot for the help :lol:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The AVR in that Onkyo system is the NR609. Not a slouch...and is still relevant(last year was the 515 and this year is the 626...don't ask why the numbers fluctuate...)

That system would allow you to upgrade the main speakers(since it is a 7 channel AVR with only 5 included) down the road. Trying to piece a "big system" right off the bat is fraught with many "issues". Mainly what to get among the onslaught of choices.

But by buying a $500 system where the AVR is good for the next 3-5 years....and the speakers are what you'll replace...pair by pair, will net you a better overall result. Especially since you can buy used speakers to get more for your money.

But...nothing wrong with the HDMI/toslink now. Not saying there is. I would rather not spend that $100-ish dollars, re-sell the Vizio(since you've probably already had it too long to return it) and spend the extra on a situation you can start building on. Instead of spending another $100 you will never "get back".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks