What's new

New Seven Samurai and more Kurosawa from Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Kevin - we're discussing the recent cinema re-releases that Janus Films and Cowboy Pictures did of a bunch of Kurosawa films starring Toshiro Mifune, including Seven Samurai. They all had new subtitle translations by Linda Hoaglund.

If the new Hoaglund version does indeed contain phrases like
"Cut the racket, you little brats. There's no rice. Quit yapping. All right, listen here, you little piss-pants. This is all the rice there is. If we give you any more, we'll get all... (mimics fainting) That's how it is. Say, any of you got a pretty sister?"
then I would much rather put up with an inferior transfer (which is by no means poor in the first place) than subtitles that irritate the hell out of me.

I'm very glad I kept my Criterion copy of The Killer for this exact reason - the transfer may be inferior to HKL's version, but the subtitles are so much better (not to mention the original mono tracks over the botched 5.1 remix on HKL's disc with music cues all over the place), I'd choose the Criterion any day.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah, sorry. I thought you guys were referring to the DVD's as that was the basic topic of the thread.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
We are refering to the DVDs Kevin.

The translation which was done for the Kurosawa-Mifune Retrospective late last year is the translation which will probably be used on the DVD.

There is no translation difference between the first edition of Seven Samurai (the one coded Region 0 which includes the restoration demo) and second edition (Region 1 without the restoration demo).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Jason,

Thanks for clarifying. I purchased the Kurasawa set from Criterion already. My Seven Samurai box is actually for the first edition, but the disc inside is for the second edition. Kind of strange.

I have a 'serviceable' knowledge of Japanese but I have a harder time making out the dialogue Seven Samurai, for one main reason: audio quality. It's imperative that the subs convey the proper meaning for me. If the Hoaglund subtitles (as exampled above) are really as awful as the examples given, I'll keep my original DVD thanks. :)

If there's anything I can't stand, it's homogenized, watered down, 'play to the masses' colliquialisms in classic foreign cinema. Yuch.

~j

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
We are refering to the DVDs Kevin.
........:confused:
No, I think I've been able to piece together what the hell you guys were referring to. You are concerned that any "New" DVD will contain these newer translations used in last years theatrical roadshow, right?
I think Criterion might just go the way of Thrown of Blood (using two different translations) if we raise enough of a stink.;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
No, I think I've been able to piece together what the hell you guys were referring to. You are concerned that any "New" DVD will contain these newer translations used in last years theatrical roadshow, right?
This issue has actually been under discussion since the very first post in this thread. The article linked to in that post says: "The new subtitles, laser-printed onto newly restored prints for a traveling retrospective of Kurosawa films starring Mifune Toshiro, are scheduled for release on DVD." The new subtitles are the entire basis for that article and, hence, this thread. I don't know why everyone is confused all of a sudden.

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
This issue has actually been under discussion since the very first post in this thread.
Yes and wasn't again mentioned until the 2nd page of the thread, the bulk of the discussion was regarding DVD. Being a rather old thread I didn't bother to go back and reread it, so when I didn't understand what Jason was referring to (and because of that I misunderstood some of the other responses) I got two completely different answers when I asked what it was about, hence my initial confusion. That is no longer the case but gosh, thank's for your concern Damin.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Having just seen the new print of Seven Samurai Saturday night, I can confirm it contains the above phrases exactly as Jon quoted. It also includes lots of "jerks" and multiple uses of profanity.

Carrol

Agent

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
If they don't include the original literal translation on the new dvd, i will be dissapointed. I actually wouldn't mind having the new translation to watch once or twice, but in the end i will most likely want to go back to the literal translation. But i really want the new transfer! If they include two subtitle options like Throne of Blood has, from what i hear, then i'll be a happy camper.

With the phrase "laser printed onto the new transfer" - doesn't that mean us getting two options will be highly unlikely?

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
The Cowboy Picture poster for Seven Samurai is definitely very cool.

I had been planning on getting one, but backed off when I saw the price they were going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks