What's new

New Seven Samurai and more Kurosawa from Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Seven Samurai is one of my favorite films of all time!!!!!
Hope this is true! Will definitely pick this up...again :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Did I die and go to Heaven? :)

Hope it's true, especially concerning Stray Dog...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Notice "This spring".

The prints are already done, and being distributed by Cowboy pictures

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is great news indeed and would definetely pick up a new version of Seven Samurai

For those that live in the UK, channel 4 is showing Kagemuskha after midnight

:D

updated It is Kagemusha

:b

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A new DVD of Seven Samurai isn't that surprising when you consider Criterion re-did Beauty and the Beast shortly after its restored prints made the rounds.

In the case of Seven Samurai, since it does contain an intermission, I would suspect we will see the film spread accross two discs if Criterion does a new transfer.

Tim RH

Second Unit
In the case of Seven Samurai, since it does contain an intermission, I would suspect we will see the film spread accross two discs if Criterion does a new transfer.
I think this is doubtful. Unless Criterion slaps on a few more audio tracks, there would be no reason to spread the film over two discs, since the first Seven Samurai DVD did not do this. I think they may do a 2-disc edition, but probably all the (non-audio) extras will be on there.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Most likely, if it does happen, they'll go the Children of Paradise route - putting the two halves on separate discs and spreading the extras out equally to maximise the bitrates.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The first Seven Samurai was a relatively early disc.

Even Criterion has come a long way in understanding how to maximize image quality.

As has been pointed out, they did use two discs for Children of Paradise and it was specifically for this reason.

Seven Samurai is almost an hour longer, so would almost be guaranteed to be spread over two discs.

I've emailed Jon Mulvany to see if he's able to give out any info on this yet. It never hurts to ask.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
So what kind of extras are we speaking of for Seven Samurai then

Are we likely to see Criterion do an anamorphic version of Brazil then as well

:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
A new DVD of Seven Samurai isn't that surprising when you consider Criterion re-did Beauty and the Beast shortly after its restored prints made the rounds.
When the new Seven Samurai prints were announced to make the rounds early last year I was hopeful for a new DVD but this is TOHO we're talking about, I hope they are relaxing their policies.
None of this is absolutely confirmed as yet so I am personally going to take a wait & see attitude.

....fingers crossed.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'd buy a new Seven Samurai. I've been dying to see Criterion do Stray Dog. I've got the Mei-Ah version, and love the movie but hate the subtitles. Any new Kurosawa is good news.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Slightly off-topic, but:
Criterion is considering the possibility of re-releasing some of our early DVDs in 16x9 enhanced editions. Please keep an eye on our website for any future news and updates regarding this project.
I sure hope that includes Andrei Rublev and Amarcord if it ever comes true!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Criterion is considering the possibility of re-releasing some of our early DVDs in 16x9 enhanced editions. Please keep an eye on our website for any future news and updates regarding this project.
Sounds like the same thing I was told several months ago. A few months later I was told there had been no further discussion on the topic. :frowning:

When did you hear that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks