What's new
World Wide Stereo

New projector (1 Viewer)

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process od building a new house and am going to do a dedicated HT room. I'm trying to figure out what projector to buy for 3-5,000. I'm looking at these right now. The house isn't going to be done until June, so should I just wait until then for prices to go down and better technology to come out? thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'll make this simple.

If you can spend up towards $5,000 (and can handle a short-throw PJ) then get the BenQ 8700.

You may want to hold off your purchase until you're ready to actually use the HT system in case prices fall or something new comes out that's better for the same price. But if I were to buy a PJ today for between 3 and 5K the BenQ would be it.

-dave

TommyL

Supporting Actor
how far away is your seating? I'd take a good look at the infocus 5700...better yet, grab the 1k rebate and get a infocus 7200...awesome machine!

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
I'd second the Infocus 7200. I got one comming to me right now and should get get here any day (excitement). It's perfect for your price range, I payed $4200 from a authorized dealer!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Those two Panny projectors have vastly different specs. Discount the Panasonic PT-L520 altogether, of the two, the L500 is by far the better projector. Yes, the Infocus 7200 will be around the upper end of your budget but it is a superior projector to those others mentioned. I would keep your options open though since you are 6 months away from completion of the house.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The Infocus 7200 is indeed a marvelous machine.

If you want a brighter, punchier picture...go with the infocus 7200 (I saw too many rainbows on this PJ due to brightness but not everyone is bothered like me).

If you want a picture with deeper, richer blacks, then go with the BenQ 8700.

Either way if you're able to get in the $4500 - $5000 range do NOT settle for anything less than HD2 DLP!!!

-dave :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks