What's new

New Outer Limits..Whats up MGM??? (UPDATE: S1: 11/1/05) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just read over at www.tvshowsondvd.com about more "Best of's" coming for Outer Limits. Dave even quotes what I was told at last years Licensing show. I just don't understand MGM. Why won't they release the show in season sets?? Like Dave mentioned in another thread. MGM releases most of their tv product in season sets. Why is this different?

ps-Just curious. I know the Koch Canadian releases are not the full seasons. But, are they the uncut, uncensored Showtime versions?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
This is bad news for us fans of the "New" Outer Limits. The previous 2 compilation discs must have sold well-enough for them to release more. Why not full season sets?

Unfortuantely, NO. I purchased the first 5 Disc Set (The Best Of Seasons 1 & 2) on E-Bay when it was first released last year. I was disappointed to find that the episodes are the edited syndicated versions PLUS there are no chapter stops - so each episode is one 45 minute chapter!

The good thing is, I think I only paid $35 or so for the set, I was happy to have it, but at the same time disgusted with Koch's mistreatment of this series. I have sworn off any future installments from Koch and I will wait until MGM sees the light and gives us what we have been craving for years. In the mean time, I will buy the new compilations just so I can get my "fix" and hope that they focus more on the original Showtime episodes this time around rather than the newer ones made for the Sci-Fi channel.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I looked over the packaging for the "Best of" sets, and while the episodes chosen are ones I like, they are not the ONLY ones I liked in this series. Come on, MGM! Pretty please with sugar and sprinkles on top? Season sets!!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
*sighs* OK, this is just painful for me.

I REALLY loved the Showtime version of Outer Limits. I don't know why it's not feeling the love that the classic version of the show does.

All I really want are uncensored uncut versions of these shows in season sets. Even these best ofs don't have the episodes I really want, so why waste money?

Get this right, MGM, otherwise it won't sell.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I know this is an anthology show, but the series had a consistent high quality that it really is worth owning all the uncut episodes in season box sets. Some of the episodes were even related to each other.

I believe best of's and box sets can coexist in the marketplace, but season sets should be the priority, regardless of the quality of the show.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Please keep in mind that Koch has licensed the show for Canada, and has access to the CANADIAN cuts of the series. The show aired in primetime on what has become a national network, so we needed a tame version of the episodes here. Koch didn't have any other choice but to release the Canadian cuts of the episodes.

Gord

JohnAP

Second Unit
I enjoyed the first two sets, though I thought they were kind of a mixed bag, some really good episodes and some not so good. As a fan of the show, I've been confused as to why it was taking so long to announce anything after the initial two releases so I'm thankful for this announcement.

I would prefer season sets for the completeness and because that format would probably save us money on the series in the long run. Still, since it's an anthology, I won't mind the format much. My only concern is that they will release all these sets, but there will still end up being many good episodes that didn't fit and may never be released or they will eventually get out only in a season set, forcing consumers to rebuy stuff they already bought to get all the eps.

I really don't want to complain though. Considering the time inbetween releases, I'm pretty happy to know there's more coming.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
For reference the Koch Third Season DVD release is a full season (it was a slightly short season with only 18 episodes).

But I'd much prefer MGM release this set properly.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I bought the 4 new volumes today...Anyone else?

$9.99 each at Tower isn't bad at all. They also have the 6 disc box set (which includes the previously released Sex & Science Fiction Collection and Time Travel & Infinity Collection) on sale for $49.99

The box used for the 6 disc set is very attractive. Kind of makes me regret owning the 2 older discs in the collection. I can't wait to get home and check out these new discs.

Any word of full season sets? Now that MGM is with Sony, does this mean that The Outer Limits might be overlooked or is there a chance that we will see future releases?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks