What's new

New here need to know what HTIB to buy (1 Viewer)

JoshRedline

Auditioning
Hi all.

I do not know if I'am posting in the right section of the site, but I'am a noobish audiophile and want to upgrade my underpowered Logitech X-530 speakers conected via an adaptor to my tv. The adaptor actually converts stereo to multi-channel sound. It's meant for my computer, so I feel these speakers are not up to par for use on my Television. I am looking to buy a Home theater in a box very soon, and I can't find any helpful information on the internet to know what to buy. I am willing to pay anywhere from $250 to $350. I don't want to go over. I want one with an integrated DVD player, AM/FM, and a modest amount of features. I want something powerful, but quality is more important than quantity, and I would settle for a modest wattage for a good quality sound system. Unless I can pay less than $350, I do not want to buy a seperate receiver, DVD player, and speakers. Thats why I'm choosing to go with a HTIB. I also want at least 5.1. And guys, please don't urge me to pay 100 dollars more to go with some 700 watt yamaha or something, this is strictly my price range. Right now, I am leaning toward the Pioneer HTP-2550DV. Please, any input is greatly appreciated. I am 16, and this is for a fairly sized bedroom. For the rear speakers, are they supposed to produce sound all the time, or only when a sound effect happens in the back? For the system I have now, my rear speakers are hung by the wall against my bed (its right next to my body). Is this the right way to go about this? Also, I watch alot of DVDs, but I want good sound when watching TV shows. Is a HTIB meant to produce multichannel/good quality sound when I'm just watching tv. Please, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance guys.:)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum! This request might get moved to the A/V Sources forum where HTiBs are usually discussed.

Most of the recomendations for HTiBs start with Onkyo. This is because they offer separate components all in one box. This is an advantage because if the dvd portion of an all-in-one system breaks, you are SOL and have to repair or replace the whole system, possibly even speakers as many of the all-in-one systems use proprietary speaker connections and the speakers won't easily connect to another system.

I checked and there is an entry level Onkyo system on sale at Circuit City right now for $270. (HT-S580) I don't know anything about the model, but it is from probably the most reputable manufacturer of HTiBs. It is 5.1, has digital sound inputs (to get true surround sound from dvds and HD signals) and Dolby pro logic II (to convert stereo signals to simulated surround sound).

It does not include a dvd player, and for reasons I mentioned above, you'd want a separate player anyway. Check out the Panasonic S29. They are about $70, which fits your budget. It's not their best player, but a decent one at that price point. Good luck.

PS - your surrounds should not be producing sound all the time. 75% or more of the sound will come from your center channel. The L/R and surrounds are used for "effects."

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would not want the DVD player integrated. Those systems have to many compromises.

As said the Onkyo systems are real complete and perform better than what they should for the cost.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~507415.asp

Pretty close to budget even after spending the rediculous $29 to become a Platinum member.

But does not include a DVD player.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please, everyone: Read the Basics-area main thread-listing page and pay attention to the very last sentence. Ask about specific models and purchasing advice in the appropriate hardware-related area. Thank you.

rob-h

Second Unit
JoshRedline, the only thing I would consider in that price range is the 770 that JohnS recommended. You can grab a DVD player for under 40 bucks these days anyway. Grabbing anything less that that is going to be a big disappointment. You will be trying to upgrade almost immediately and a lesser HTIB will just be a waste of money.

JoshRedline

Auditioning
Thanks for the input! I am still saving up money, so I'm not buying just yet, but I'm leaning toward the Onkyo HT-S580. The more expensive one is out of my price range and has been updated with a new model that is even more expensive. Do you guys think the HT-S580 has enough features? What about the Panasonic S29 DVD player? Thanks. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
As long as it has a sub out, and DD 5.1, there is enough features for it to be used as far as I am concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks