What's new
World Wide Stereo

New Guy here building a house with home theatre (1 Viewer)

chrisb123

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bowles
Hello everyone!
Im building a house with a home theatre in the basement. The room measures 15' W x 25' D. The projector I want to buy is either the Epson 3010 or Optoma HD33. I will have 2 rows of seats with the back row on a platform 9" high.
Im probably going to get the Visual Apex VAPEX1920 fixed screen 120" 1.1 gain.
I plan on using it for movies (including 3d) and gaming secondary.
Im looking for suggestions on how to mount the projector (electrician is wiring the outlet at 14' back) and have no clue what to do on audio. I want a nice sounding 5.1 under $1500 with a solid receiver. I also have ethernet being wired to the theatre and wasnt sure the best place to have that come into the room? (Near receiver or projector?) :confused:
This is my first time experiencing anything like this, and I appreciate any advice/input I can get.
Thanks! :D

728x90

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would not recommend the 3010 due to your 9' ceilings, and because it does not have lens shift. When ceiling mounting it, the lens would need to be level with the top of screen. So you would have to use a drop pole to lower projector. With the HD33 ceiling mounted at 14' (lens to screen) the image offset would be 9.4". That means the lens would need to be 9.4" above the top of screen.
I would have the ethernet cable run to where the component rack will be(the rear of the room is the best location for this). Your Blu-ray player will need an ethernet connection for Netflix, etc.
As far as the speakers and receiver, you should post in those sections.

chrisb123

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bowles
Thanks for the reply Jim!
Is lens shift the same thing as keystone? People ahve told me the Epson 3010 has keystone and that can shift the image down but may distort the image a little and I dont want that.
I guess I will change to the Optoma HD33. Do you know where the best place to get the glasses are?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Keystone kills resolution. It turns 1080p projectors into 720p projectors.
Regards

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
chrisb123 said:
Thanks for the reply Jim!
Is lens shift the same thing as keystone? People ahve told me the Epson 3010 has keystone and that can shift the image down but may distort the image a little and I dont want that.
I guess I will change to the Optoma HD33. Do you know where the best place to get the glasses are?
Lens shift is not the same as keystone. Lens shift enables you to move the image up or down without distorting the image. Keystone correction corrects the trapezoid shape in the image from angling the projector.
I know nothing about the glasses, sorry. You can post in the HD33 thread at Avsforum

chrisb123

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bowles
Thanks guys for the reply. Do you know if the Epson 3010 or Optoma HD33 have lens shift?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
chrisb123 said:
Thanks guys for the reply. Do you know if the Epson 3010 or Optoma HD33 have lens shift?
Like I said above, the 3010 does not have lens shift, and neither does the HD33. The HD33 should work well in your room due to the image offset. It just depends on how high you want your screen mounted. A 120" diagonal screen is 59" tall. When you add up the image offset of 9.4" and about a 6" drop from lens to ceiling that gives you 15.4". That would put the top of your screen at about 15.4" below the ceiling. If that height is good for you, the HD33 will work without using keystone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks