What's new

New 65" TV in built in entertainment center (1 Viewer)

Gschimma

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Hi, just received our new 65" OLED TV and trying to figure out how finish the built in entertainment center and whether or not to wall mount the TV and if so, how. First, a woodworking question. On the left in the picture is a finish piece that appears to go under the top cabinets. How can I attach that? (Beginner woodworker). Next, to wall mount or not? And how? the finish piece on the right is 3/4" ply, the wall behind is simply sheetrock/ wood studs. Initially my plan was to cut out a piece the size of the mount and attach the mount directly to the wall. Now realizing that that might not be the best plan given the space lost between the wall mount and the TV (the width of the plywood). I could drill through the plywood to the wall studs. Pros/cons/ suggestions? Of course the kids want this done yesterday.

Attachments

• 17CE707E-324C-4F3C-9487-89AC9AA56D20.jpeg
    17CE707E-324C-4F3C-9487-89AC9AA56D20.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
You didn't say what the dimensions of the space and external dimensions of the TV are. You have a couple alternatives. One is to put the TV on it's base and put it on the bottom surface. That's the easy way. If you mount it, you might consider a couple of things. Are you going to leave it in one place, or will you angle it to provide viewing in different parts of the room? The latter is possible with a hinged or articulating mount. I've got two flat screens in the house, and have mounts on both that allow this. They take up about 4" of extra space, but allow pulling the TV out from the wall and turning it up to 90 degrees to either side (more than I need). If the TV is just staying in one place, you can use a more simple (and less expensive) mount. I might mention that the articulated or hinged mounts allow pulling the TV out and making changes to inputs in back easier-but this is a minor point, unless you have a cat that likes to go behind and loosen things up. The mounts are better and cost less if you go online instead of to the big box store. There's also a better selection on line. Shop around. Get one that is rated, at a minimum, to hold the weight of your TV. Most of the big box ones I've seen are on the skimpy side.

Mounting everything isn't difficult, but it might help to have two people for part of it. The mount has to be secured into the underlying studs, If the spacing isn't right, mount one or two cross pieces that are solid (2x4, 2x6 or 2x8) into the underlying studs with long enough lag screws to act as a base for the mount. Use a stud finder to locate the studs. Use large enough screws through the mount to hold it-drill out the holes in the mount as needed. You will also need a level to make sure the final result isn't tilted. The end result should be pretty solid-on the larger of my two mounts, I could hold the top and lift my feet off the floor without moving it (overkill is underrated-after 9 years, my wife is talking about a bigger flat screen. I'll use the same mount).

If the TV isn't moving, you can frame in the periphery. You might also consider spray painting the inside of the enclosure black. Any gaps around the TV don't show. Check the manual and see if the TV requires any ventilation.

Have fun. Post pictures of the result!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’ve also found that a piece of black construction paper on the wall works well to hide holes in the back of stands etc.

Gschimma

Grip
Real Name
Greg
thanks for your reply. i understand how to mount to sheetrock and the framing behind. perhaps you missed my description that describes 3/4” ply that sits at the back of the built in entertainment center. initially I had planned to cut out the size of the mount and then attach the mount directly to the sheetrock/woodframing like normal but then noted that I’d lose at least 3/4” (the width of the ply) in access to the back of the tv and the mount. i purchase a sanus advanced tilt mount from best buy.

Attachments

• 4716D49F-AAAC-48BC-A24D-C37FE35AF302.jpeg
    4716D49F-AAAC-48BC-A24D-C37FE35AF302.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
If the plywood is against the underlying wall without any space, you could do either, and mechanically, it probably wouldn't make any difference. Dealers choice, I'd guess, and whatever is more convenient overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks