What's new

Netflix & Distance from screen ? (1 Viewer)

Dennis F

Grip
I used to be able to watch netflix movies on my TV. Now I cant. Is there something wrong with my system or can they block it so you can not watch it on a TV?
Does the same hold true for a projection TV that it does for a plasma or Lcd . The distance you should be from the screen. I want to get a 50” for my bedroom but I will be only 9” from the screen is that alright? Also how do I put a link to my DVD profiler at the bottom of my signature. THANKS
MY HOME THEATER

Mitsubishi WS-73907
Mitsubishi Promise Module PM-1000
Mitsubishi S VCR HS-U790
JVC DR-MV1S DVD&VHS Recorder
JVC D-VHS Digital Recorders HM-DH30000U
Pioneer Elite Compact Disc Recorder PDR-19RW
Pioneer Elite DVD Player DV-47Ai
Pioneer Elite Audio/Video Receiver VSX-49TXi
Pioneer LD & DVD DVL-919
Pioneer Single Cassette Deck CT-S601R
Pioneer PL600 Turntable
Pioneer File Type Compact Disc Player PD-F1006
Panasonic DVD Video Recorder DMR-HS2
Toshiba HD-A1 High Definition DVD Player
DirecTV HD-10-250 & HD20-700 Tvo
Escient Fireball FP1 music manager
Pronto Pro TSU 9600
IPod 30G
2, Monster Power HTS2500 PowerCenter
Atlantic Technology System 450e THX
Plus Atlantic Technology 451e Fronts with stands for back speakers
Plus Atlantic Technology 372 PBM THX second sub
Dennis

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

??? Since 99% of people watch DVDs on some form of TV (the rest watch on computers) that wouldn't make a great deal of sense. What exactly happens (or doesn't happen) when you put a movie rented from Netflix in one of your players. And does this happen on all of your players? All of your TVs? Are these SD rentals? HD?

There is no "rule" for distance and screen size. It all comes down to personal preferance. I have a 56" TV in my living room and my primary seating position is about eight feet from it. I like the enveloping screen size, especially for movies and sports. In my bedroom I have a 32" LCD about the same distance and I find that perfectly comfortable for TV and the odd movie.

Regards,

Joe

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Something wrong with your system? Maybe

Can they block it so you can't watch it on a TV? No. And what would be point of that anyway?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

Joseph is right - it's really a matter of personal preference on the viewing distance. I'm presently looking at getting my first WS LCD TV myself and have done some measuring of screen sizes vs viewing distances, etc. Here's a link to a site that may help you get an idea of some recommended viewing distances for the WS TV sets. You can plug in your current viewing distance, etc, and the site will calculate an optimum viewing distance.

LCD TV Suggested Viewing Distance Calculator at DTV City

The old "rule of thumb" for standard TV sizes is to take the diagonal of the screen in inches and multiply it by 3. That's considered by some to be the ideal space to keep between the set and yourself. I have a 36" Sony Wega std TV (the flat-screen picture with a std chassis size). I sit about 9 feet from the set. That seems to be about right for me and it matches the "thumb-rule" distance.

Since I started looking at some of the LCD sets, I found that, to get an LCD WS set with at least the same-size screen height as my Sony 36" set, I'd need to get a min-size of 46" LCD set. I'm in the process of deciding on either a 46" or 52" LCD set at present. Also, I'm wondering if the prices have leveled out yet for these LCD WS sets.

One thing I've been concerned about is the "trailing" or "blurring" phenomenon that apparently some notice with the LCD's when viewing fast-scene movies or sports. The 120 Hz frame-rate refresh sets supposedly addressed this issue.

Admittedly, I'm not a real home video spec guru :) I'm doing some catching-up with these WS sets.

I wonder how many here have yet to own their first WS LCD/Plasma, DLP TV set. Since most of my viewing format is 1:33-1 , I have held off on buying my 1st WS set.

Also, I'm looking at some of the LCD tech info (ie Contrast Ratio & Brightness specs, with the "Brightness" Spec measured as cd/m². But I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be as much standardization regarding spec info/published specs that I expected to see after looking into the LCD sets. Some mfgr's publish the Brightness specs and some don't from what I've seen so far.

To be honest, I'm really happy with my Sony 36" Wega but they're no longer available (new) at the major outlets. They've really pushed the WS sets in the past year at the major retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks