What's new

Neo-noir: All the colors of noir post 1970 on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know this thread is mainly on post-1970 film noir, but if it's allowed I'd be interested to hear from filmnoirguy and anyone else what their top ten or so favorite film noirs are from the classic era from the early 40s to the late 50s.

I think I have another thread that speaks to classic noir that could be done in. If we start talking classic noir here we'll probably end up talking a lot of it because it is popular around here.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I bumped the Film Noir on Blu-ray thread, this thread was meant to be in addition to that thread addressing neo-npir on Blu-ray from 1970 on. I think most people agree that classic noir was over by 1960.

So, the hole in the whole noir discussion really is 1960-1969, which is a decade where, for some reason, not many noirs come to mind.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A new noir picture that is coming soon to look forward to is Marlowe directed by Neil Jordan and starring Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe. It has top notch talent associated with the film and looks like a fun project. Plus it will get Neeson out of the B action pictures he seems to be stuck in where he has a certain set of skills. Here he is in costume:

Marlowe.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A new noir picture that is coming soon to look forward to is Marlowe directed by Neil Jordan and starring Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe. It has top notch talent associated with the film and looks like a fun project. Plus it will get Neeson out of the B action pictures he seems to be stuck in where he has a certain set of skills. Here he is in costume:

View attachment 149119
Just like Robert Mitchum, he should have played him 15 years earlier than now.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Haven't seen it since it came out, but I consider Wolfgang Petersen's 1991 movie Shattered a good neo-noir. Here's the original trailer....

one of my favorites -

Shattered and Against All Odds are both on my soon to watch list. I've seen them both before but look forward to revisiting them. I have them both on Blu. Saw both in theaters when they were released. Really, and I had not thought about it before I picked up the set I mention in the first post here, the 1980s and 1990s were quite a fertile period for neo-noir. Honestly, I don't think I appreciated at the time how great those two decades were for the genre.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Against All Odds is a very stylish and attractively shot neo-noir. I saw this when it first premiered and I recall how pleasant the tropical settings seemed in contrast to the very wet, late winter weather I was experiencing at the time. A rainy, night viewing with temperatures in the '40s, I believe.

Of course, I am sure that folks know this is a loose remake of 1947's iconic noir film Out of the Past. Jane Greer appears in both titles and noir icon Richard Widmark helps bolster Against All Odds' credentials. Aside from the lush visuals, the film benefits from a strong, appealing cast including Jeff Bridges, Rachel Ward, and James Woods.

I have not seen it nor Shattered in quite some time, and I also viewed (and enjoyed) both films theatrically. Casting was also strong in Shattered with Tom Berenger, Bob Hoskins and Greta Scacchi all turning in good performances. Of the two films I think that Against All Odds holds up a bit better since Shattered relies upon a 'surprise' which tends to mute the impact of the film on repeat viewings. Or at least I think so.

Given the state of home video in the early 1980s my experience with classic film noir was virtually nonexistent; so while I read reviews and was aware of the genre a general lack of first hand experience probably contributed significantly to a stunted sense of the genre while it was undergoing a rebirth of sorts in the '80s and '90s. (I began expanding my classic noir experience via Laserdisc in the mid '90s.)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Against All Odds is a very stylish and attractively shot neo-noir. I saw this when it first premiered and I recall how pleasant the tropical settings seemed in contrast to the very wet, late winter weather I was experiencing at the time. A rainy, night viewing with temperatures in the '40s, I believe.

Of course, I am sure that folks know this is a loose remake of 1947's iconic noir film Out of the Past. Jane Greer appears in both titles and noir icon Richard Widmark helps bolster Against All Odds' credentials. Aside from the lush visuals, the film benefits from a strong, appealing cast including Jeff Bridges, Rachel Ward, and James Woods.

I have not seen it nor Shattered in quite some time, and I also viewed (and enjoyed) both films theatrically. Casting was also strong in Shattered with Tom Berenger, Bob Hoskins and Greta Scacchi all turning in good performances. Of the two films I think that Against All Odds holds up a bit better since Shattered relies upon a 'surprise' which tends to mute the impact of the film on repeat viewings. Or at least I think so.

Given the state of home video in the early 1980s my experience with classic film noir was virtually nonexistent; so while I read reviews and was aware of the genre a general lack of first hand experience probably contributed significantly to a stunted sense of the genre while it was undergoing a rebirth of sorts in the '80s and '90s. (I began expanding my classic noir experience via Laserdisc in the mid '90s.)

- Walter.

Going off of memory, I think Against All Odds was pretty well received by critics but I think I recall Shattered being slaughtered by them. I enjoyed it when I saw it in a cinema and I think I read a few newspaper reviews after and they were bad. Here's a funny memory that takes place before the internet, I would go to the library where they had several newspapers from around the country and read the reviews in the Friday papers. Ha, that was basically the primary way to get different reviews from the critics.

In the 1970s and 1980s, I don't think there was a big audience for Noir because really, it was not a simple thing to have seen the pictures then. You'd have to rely on a TV viewing or if an art house cinema decided to show one. With filmmakers Noir was popular because they loved the stylized filmmaking and so they revived the genre with their neo-noirs. Really, though I think the general audience for Noir expanded with cable TV and home video and probably really grew in the period you mention, the 1990s, because that is when audiences really caught up with it. You've got to give credit to guys like Scorsese, whose constant expressions of his love for the genre really put it in front of audiences. Taxi Driver is a noir and he brings all the hallmarks of Noir into it. He uses Noir flourishes in Raging Bull. I think these are much more obvious to today's audiences because they have had the chance to be much more steeped in the genre.

Have to admit we live in the best of times for film buffs because if there is any genre you want to explore you can very easily take a deep dive into those pictures. Plus with all the special features created for home video versions it is like being able to take a class in whatever genre you choose.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ron has posted in the Imprint thread that they have announced the second After Dark Neo-Noir Collection. If you want to check out what that entails check out his post in that thread.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Another neo noir has come to Blu in the US through the Cinematographe label sold through Vinegar Syndrome, John Dahl's Red Rock West. I have the new Blu and it is on my agenda to get to watching it soon.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks