What's new

Need to get my Sony SS-B1000 speakers just another foot and a half off the table... (1 Viewer)

w9xat

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
First a warning... any audiophile types should probably not read this because what I'm going to say is going to sound like nails on a chalkboard to them ;) ;)

OK.. I have two Sony SS-B1000's as my surround speakers. currently they're on two end tables on either side of a couch, but that puts them somewhat low to be at the always-recommended "listener ear level" (unless of course I slump down all the way in the couch, which is fine if I'm alone but my wife gets mad at me if I sit that way when company's over). Plus they're so low that if more than one person sits on the couch they completely block the speaker.

If I could get them 15 to 20" higher that'd be perfect. I've seen speaker stands this height as low as around $60, but honestly that just seems like a lot of money for a $50 pair of speakers. Yes I know good stands are important to good sound reproduction, especially bass, but my bass is going to the subwoofer anyway and although the Sony's are a nice set of speakers I just don't think they're really good enough (or my middle aged ears discerning enough) to warrant spending that kind of money (oy just heard an audiophile hit the ground in pain over that comment ;) )

Anyone have any ideas for any less expensive (but not completely ugly) alternatives?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Are there walls on either side? If so I once used some inexpensive (approx $10 ea) knick-knack shelves from Home Depot to put my surround speakers on. I was in a similar situation, fairly inexpensive speakers and I didn't want to spend a lot on the mount.

w9xat

Auditioning
Real Name
Lou
There are walls, but on the side of the speakers and not behind them.

Anyway I found a pair of used Sanus NF-18B's online for $20. Local seller too so I get to see them. Worked out well :)

Thanks for the response

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks