What's new

Need Some TV Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That particular unit has an owner's discussion thread
here (click) at avsforum.com,
and continues here (click) at avsforum.com

In brief, there was a manufacturing defect on this particular model which resulted in the screens having some areas darker or lighter than others -- known as "banding". As such this particular model was discounted and also dumped into the discount retailers to clear it out. The Sharp Aquos series is highly regarded if you get one with no problems. But it appears that almost all of this particular model were defective, or Sharp wouldn't have reduced them like they did. The defective "62" line was quickly replaced by the less-defective "64" line.

I love the Sharp Aquos line, but I would not take the risk on this particular one.

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
Thankd for the heads up. I wish there weren't so many similar models from every manufacturer with similar model numbers. Its making it hard to narrow down what to buy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How about the Samsung 4069? It's smaller, but has the 120Hz feature, and good black levels, and is usually around $1299 or less (US dollars).

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
Looks like the 4069's are going for around $2,000 up here. Can you point me in the right direction to what the 120hz is?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 120Hz smooth motion feature will up the frame rate to 120Hz so sports on HDTV looks life-like, but will render film (shot at 24 frames/second) too "video-like" and not as pleasing to a film enthusiast's eye, but YMMV. Thought US and Cdn dollars were getting close these days, I guess not. (But I thought Boxing Day sales would spur a good price on these LCD sets).

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
Sounds like the 120Hz its not for me then. I'll be watching 98% movies on this tv.

The canadian dollar is actually higher now then the USD, but prices are still way out of wack.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Then you'll be happy with one of the older xx61 or xx65 model from Samsung that should be on sale as the newer xx69 and xx71 models are showing up at the stores. Plus, the 120Hz feature is user-defeatable, so not a big deal if you don't care for it.

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
Doing some more research.

How about these two Sony Models
KDL40V2500 - $1,386
KSL40V3000 - $1,485

Any thoughts

bdinnocenzo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill D'Innocenzo
I'm also in the market for my first (ok, stop laughing) flat panel tv. We are nearly done with a new room (24 x 36) that I've pre-wired for 7.1 surround sound but now I'm in need of selecting a TV.

Because the room has lots of windows and the family will be wathcing TV in the daylight as well as a night I've decided that an LCD would be better than a Plasma (brighter picture, but I could be wrong). I'm also putting the TV oer a gas fireplace. The wall above the fireplace has been insulated and set back so as to keep the heat down...the goal was 85 degrees or less, but we'll see.

I would love to put a nice 65" LCD screen up there, but at $30K plus I think I'll make that an upgrade a few years down the road. I notice that the next step down in size for LCD's is usually a 58". Any reccomendations? Is LCD my best choice for my room?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks