What's new

Need some quick help please--JVC... (1 Viewer)

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi Folks--I need a "quick" inexpensive DVD player and I want to get the JVC XVN420B at Worst Buy BUT...the last time I had a JVC the picture was good but the picture ALWAYS stuttered on pans & action sequences or would actually drop frames which was totally unacceptable. JVCs actually convert a progressive signal to an interlaced signal(JVC does this backwards for some reason)and I have a standard TV. I just want to know if JVC players still have the "stuttering" problem. Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, not sure what you mean about the backwards part...
Video is SD 480i non-progressive scan on the DVD itself.

May have been an odd player with very poor MPEG decoding. Most all even the cheapest of players these days do OK at SD out the various outputs.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi John--what I'm referring to is JVC converts an interlaced signal to progressive and then back to interlaced for a standard TV. I've confirmed this with their tech support. Instead of just taking in the signal and leaving as in an interlaced format and then just outputting it that way for a non-HD TV--it converts it from interlaced to progressive to interlaced. Why--I don't know. This wasn't an old player either--it was from the same series I'm considering on getting.

Anyone else? Has JVC fixed the stuttering problem? Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know...

Sounds like poor MPEG decoding to me. I don't think it has anything to do with this really odd way of functioning.

Lots of options out there. I'm not sure I'd get any JVC DVD player as my prefered player these days.

With SD only, your going to do just as well with a cheapie in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks