What's new

Need some help with speaker selection (1 Viewer)

mudfrog

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hey guys. My current home theater consists of the following: 47" Vizio 120Hz 1080p HTPC (for movies / games) Xbox 360 Wii Direct TV HD receiver Pioneer Receiver ~ 12 years old, don't remember the model. Supports DD and DTS Yamaha 5.1 theater in a box setup ~ 12 years old While overall I'm happy with this setup I'm looking to improve my audio for gaming / movies and the occasional listening to music. I'm not looking to break the bank so I'd like to keep everything under around $700. I've kind of narrowed it down to one of these:
ONKYO TX-NR509
Jamo S426HCS3 5pcs Home Theater Speaker System Bundle
From Tiger Direct I can have the above package to my door for $469. Plus $100 for a new Sub. Total is $570ish. Or...
ONKYO TX-NR509
Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (2 sets.. total of 4)
Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer Looking at around $635 for this setup from Newegg. The big difference would be the floor speakers vs the bookshelf speakers for the front. But what about the sound quality. Would it be worthwhile to go with the smaller Polk's over the Jamo? I have heard the Jamo's are actually a pretty good speaker. With the Polk's it would be easier to upgrade in the future.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Skip the Polk sub and use the remainder of your budget for a good sub. BIC or Lava both make inexpensive subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks