What's new

Need opinions: Orb vs Klipsch Cinema 10 vs SVS SBS-01 (1 Viewer)

BrianKiser

Grip
Hey guys, I finally sold my Klipsch KLF-30s on ebay (due to lack of HT space), and got more from them than I expected. I am so excited... now I can finally get speakers that actually fit into my home theater! My budget is about $1500 total, and I have been doing a lot of research. I'm always open for suggestions of another system, but right now it's between these 5 systems:

Orb Mod2
Klipsch Synergy 6
Klipsch RB-61
Klipsch Cinema 10
SVS SBS-01

I don't care about looks--I just want it to sound really good, be in my price range, and be no bigger than bookshelf size. I'm completely split on these systems because the reviews are really great for all 3 of them. Can anyone give me your thoughts? If you've used more than one of these systems, that's even better, but I'll take any thoughts at all.

The only two negatives I can think of are:

1. The SVS is supposed to have a massive sub. I have limited room, so that's a negative.

2. The Orbs and Klipsch Cinema 10 system are satelite speakers, so I naturally expect them to have lesser sound quality. But I could be wrong.

(Side note: I've always thought my KLF-30s/KLF-C7 sounded kind of bright, but I heard a Klipsch bookshelf speaker at a friend's house the other day, and it didn't sound bright, so I feel okay about getting another Klipsch system.)

Pummel, smash, make me look like an idiot. I don't mind! I'm begging for it!! lol

But seriously, any thoughts on the above systems (or a suggestion for another)?

Thanks,
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can order the SVS bookshelf speakers without the sub, then find a smaller sub from somewhere else like the X-Sub from www.av123.com . These are very good speakers for both movies and music. I haven't heard the Orb speakers and not a fan of Klipsch, though you are correct that satellite speakers are always a compromise.

BrianKiser

Grip
The quest is over!

I talked to Ron tonight with SVS, and after tons of research, the SVS SBS-01 really seems like a great system for the price. After changing out that massive sub for the little SB12-Plus sub, I placed my order. I've a little nervous about such a tiny sub, but the SVS guys have impressed me, so I am optimistic!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually Brian, if the size of the sub is really an issue for you, what you did is probably the best way to go, and you should be under budget.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Tiny??? It has 12" woofer and a 425 watt amp! That thing is gonna kick @$$! I'd be more concerned about it overpowering your speakers. Plus, it's a sealed cabinet sub - more accuracy w/tighter, more controlled bass.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Did you think after talking to Ron of SVS that he'd give you the impression that it was a crummy system for the price?:)

BrianKiser

Grip

Heh. That's a good point, and to be honest, my girlfriend said it sounded like a sales pitch. But I've talked to these guys several times, and I'm usually good at spotting salespitch BS, and all I can read from them is a lot of enthusiasm and confidence in their products. I'll let you know the final verdict when it arrives and is hooked up. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The guys at SVS are good people and their products are very good quality, so nothing to worry about. Rarely do you call a company and talk to one of the founders/owners about their products right? I was going to suggest swapping out for the SB-12, but wasn't sure if that would push your budget too high, I think it was a good choice as well. That is one of the few SVS products I haven't heard...

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
You'll have to tell us what you think of the SB-12. I got it with the PB-10 and while it is big its an amaing performer and after awhile it seems to have disappeared in the living room.

BrianKiser

Grip

lol Probably true. I'm still getting used to the idea of having little, bitty speakers. I had my Klipsch KLF-30s for years, and am very used to them. I remember when I first got them, I thought "Man, these things are bright!" But I guess over the years I have attuned myself to them, because they sound about perfect now.

It will be interesting to see if the SVS system can impress me or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks