What's new

Need last minute advice (1 Viewer)

Matej

Grip
Well I think I have decided on a reciecer, but before I make teh plunge I wanted your guys advice. I am getting the pioneer VSX-811s however I was wondering how much trouble will it have driving 4ohm speakers. i am still a bit new at this whole HT thing and don't want to get burned.

The speakers are klipsch promedia's v.2-400(computer speakers) I am setting up six satelites + sub.

What problems could I encounter with a low impedence speaker setup like this on?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
You should be alright. LOW impedance AND HIGH minimum wattage = potential trouble...LOW impedance AND LOW minimum wattage = easy listening.

Matej

Grip
what is low impedence high min wattage? does that mean that if I got a powerful amp my speakers would blow out?

So you are saying that I just wont have a whole lot of power but I should be ok otherwise?

sorry but I am a bit confused

Thanks a bunch

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Sorry for being obtuse...and somewhat cavalier. I was referring to speakers: yours may have a low impedance but do not demand a high minimum wattage. If they are efficient in the usual Klipsch style...you should be fine. BTW, doesn't this kind of setup come with an amplifier?

Matej

Grip
yes it does but I want a 5.1-6.1 setup and teh klipschs do only a 4.1 so I got two extra surrounds and am using them for a 6.1 system. Is there a better way to do this?

thanks a bunch

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Nope. You should be fine with the 811 but I would start with 5.1/multi-channel stereo and see how things go. Get it calibrated and get used to the volume setting at reference. See how warm or hot the 811 gets. Listen for distortion at higher volumes. Hearing none...I would add in the rear channel...recalibrate...start over again. It's the only way to be safe with that setup. That...or you could start with a more powerful receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks