What's new

need jumpers for hk avr 520??? (1 Viewer)

RaphaelZ

Agent
Hi,

bought a hk avr 520 on ebay for a grat price used. Doesn't have ANY jumpers between preamp and main in. I don't get any sound from any of the speakers unless I plug a source into the main-in terminals, but then I get no volume control (but the speakers definitely work then). Do I have to have jumpers between the pre out, and main in for normal operations or is there something else wrong with the receiver? The manual talks about them once as if they're default. Where can I get some or how can I make cheap, but good DIY jumpers. I don't want to spend $40 for a set of two on the internet. Any advice would do.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Through the on-screen setup, can you map out the amps? I thought this was the beauty of the H/K 520 - the ability to map the amps. A jumper should only be required if you plan on utilizing another source to be amplified by the 520.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From what you describe, you need the jumpers. My friend's used Marantz 9200 came without some of them too; I picked up a bunch of decent quality 6" RCAs at the local shop and dropped them in there. I got them from Cambridge Soundworks, but I don't see them listed on their website. You might be able to find some inexpensive 1/2 meter pairs or singles.

RaphaelZ

Agent
Thanks guys, problem solved. Called HK and they told me that the jumpers are essential. I made my own out of RCA plugs and 3" cuts of good 12 AWG copper wire. I soldered the wire onto the main terminal of the RCA plug and not onto the ground. Everything works and I'm happy. I've seen these type of jumpers going for $40/ pair. Wow, mine cost me about $10 for five of them.

Cheers

RaphaelZ

Agent
Nope,

They said that its not a stocked part. Oh well. Mine will do. I did notice however, that the inside of the pre/out and main in terminals is actually plastic and that there is a small wire inside that contacts any RCA or jumper installed. So it doesn't really matter if you use fancy gold-plated interconects here because most of the surface area of the RCA prong never touches anything but plastic. The outside (ground) is still metal. I don't know how other manufacturer's do it but it seems like mine are all plastic inside (in, out, video, coax, etc).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The plastic is to keep you from accidentally shorting the connection when you insert the plug (even though it's only signal). AFAIK, all RCAs are this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks