What's new

Need help with Truffaut (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm wanting to redo my Truffaut collection now that I'm region-free and PAL capable. I've researched several old threads regarding the MK2 releases, so I'm going to outline here what I understand to be the best ones and best methods. If anyone has anything to add or to correct from this, please let me know.
Une Visite: To the best of my knowledge, this isn't available anywhere.
Les Mistons (Mischief Makers): I currently own the Fox Lorber version which is paired up with Antoine et Collete. This appears to be included in the Les aventures d'Antoine Doinel box from MK2 in France. I'm assuming that this 5-disc box is a must-have considering how much I love these films.
Quatre cents coups (400 Blows): Since I'm getting the Doinel box anyway, I'll just go with this version even though Criterion should have their reissue out next year. I do like the commentary on the Fox Lorber release though.
Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot The Piano Player): I believe I should go again with MK2 on this one. The Fox Lorber version is definitely the worst in their entire Truffaut collection. I believe this is part of a 2-disc set paired with another film (MK2) but I'm having trouble locating it at Cinestore.
Une histoire d'eau (A Story Of Water): Unavailable to the best of my knowledge.
Tire au flanc (The Sad Sack): Unavailable to the best of my knowledge.
Jules et Jim (Jules And Jim): This one I may hold off on since I've heard a Criterion release may be coming. I'm pretty pleased with the Fox Lorber version on this title anyway.
Antoine et Colette (Antoine and Colette): Is this one available anywhere else besides Fox Lorber?. Surely it is, but I can't find it.
La Peau douce (The Soft Skin): MK2 on this title.
Fahrenheit 451: Collector's edition from MK2. I haven't heard anything about a planned Universal reissue in R1.
La Mariée était en noir (The Bride Wore Black): I'm pleased with my MGM disc of this film.
Baisers volés (Stolen Kisses): Part of the Doinel box. One of my absolute favorite Truffaut films.
La Sirène du Mississippi (Mississippi Mermaid): I think the MGM disc of this isn't very good if memory serves me. Unfortunately, I can't find any version in France, so I may be stuck with my MGM for now.
L' Enfant sauvage (The Wild Child): I'm pleased with the MGM release.
Domicile conjugal (Bed And Board): Part of the Doinel box.
Les Deux anglaises et le continent (Two English Girls): MK2 release available.
Une belle fille comme moi (Such A Goregous Kid Like Me): Could find no listing anywhere for this one.
La Nuit américaine (Day For Night): I will hold out for the Warner R1 release in March.
L' Histoire d'Adèle H.(The Story Of Adle H.): MGM version available but I am unsure of the quality.
L'Argent de poche (Small Change): MGM version available but I am unsure of the quality.
Homme qui aimait les femmes (The Man Who Loved Women): MGM version available but I am unsure of the quality.
La Chambre verte (The Green Room): Could find no listing.
L'Amour en fuite (Love On The Run): Part of Doinel box
Le Dernier métro (The Last Metro): Quality version available from MK2
La Femme d'à côté (The Woman Next Door): Quality version available from MK2.
Vivement dimanche! (Confidentially Yours): Quality version available from MK2. This may actually be the title that is paired with Tirez sur le pianiste, but I could be mistaken about that. A very underrated film in my opinion.
OK, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I plan on getting started on these right away.
Thanks!
Jeff

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, if you're getting the MK2 doinel box, you don't have to worry about Antoine et Colette - it's included as an extra! And the transfer is pretty decent, if I might add. It's on the baisers volés disc - out of the two, it's the one I currently prefer.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Une belle fille comme moi (Such A Goregous Kid Like Me): Could find no listing anywhere for this one.
This is available in R2 - Spain, however it is P&S and has no English subtitles, thus not recommended.
Since you seem to be a serious Truffaut aficionado, I would strongly suggest getting the MK2 mega box (for more info, click here.). It contains all 12 MK2 DVDs, and the per disk price is pretty cheap. Sure Criterion may end up releasing some of these, but I doubt the extras are going to be identical, and MK2 has some great ones.
The MGM transfers are not anamorphic, and their DVD are bare bones, but the quality is still clearly superior to Fox-Lorber. Whatever you do, don't touch the Fox-Lorber DVDs with a 10 foot pole.
Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Les Mistons is included on the MK2 400 Blows disk and Antoine et Colette is on the Stolen Kisses DVD, both transfers are excellent, Antoine et Colette has a commentary track, I don't remember if Les Mistons has one.
The Green Room is the only Truffaut feature without a DVD right now.
Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
That's true but MGM is the only game in town on these titles, no? For some strange reason, I noticed that The Bride Wore Black is discontinued. I wonder if the rights have changed on that one. I'll have to check my copy, but I thought that one was indeed anamorphic.
No Bride is a 1.66:1 title and MGM has a universal no-anamorphic for 1.66:1 policy.
I checked an The Green Room is indeed a MGM VHS property, so hopefully, a MGM DVD will be coming soon!
Ted

Ali B

Second Unit
Basically all of the original 3 boxes are now OOP - it's down to finding stores that still have stock left. This basically amounts to cinestore having a bunch of the 1st box... My advice would be to start with the 12 disc mega box and buy A nuit americane at the same time (which I think is *not* in the mega box despite it being an MK2 disc).

My approach is to wait until MK2 issues the rest of his films. They will eventually and probably in far better quality than the R1 MGM discs.

ali

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
...La nuit americane at the same time (which I think is *not* in the mega box despite it being an MK2 disc).
My approach is to wait until MK2 issues the rest of his films. They will eventually and probably in far better quality than the R1 MGM discs.
I was under the impression that MK2 had the rights just to the 12 it has already issued. Also, I don't think that Day for Night is a MK2 DVD, even though it is similar in terms of extras and art.
Ted

Georgia

Auditioning
Well I'm new here so I have a few questions:
1. I'm planning to buy the 5 DVD box set "L' Amour et les femmes" (I really want a quality release of two english girls especially). Can I still buy it through Amazon.fr with no problems?
2. Is the French Region 2 release of DAY FOR NIGHT comparable with the upcoming Region 1 release in terms of extras and picture quality? Keeping in mind, I'm in Australia and it would be easier to import region 1 DVDs.
3. Has there been any word on what the Criterion DVDs ( the Doniel box set, Shoot the Piano player etc) will be like in terms of extras? When is Criterion releasing THE 400 BLOWS?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
3. Has there been any word on what the Criterion DVDs ( the Doniel box set, Shoot the Piano player etc) will be like in terms of extras? When is Criterion releasing THE 400 BLOWS?
The only titles that Criterion is releasing for sure (but when??) are The 400 Blows and Jules and Jim.
At this point everything else is pure speculation and wishful thinking.
Ted

Georgia

Auditioning
Still only speculation? I wish they would make an official announcement-I'd love a Criterion SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER and STOLEN KISSES.

Doesn't Criterion usually announce their release dates a couple of months in advance? I really want the Criterion edition of the 400 blows as I so far, only have the fox lorber edition.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
OK, here's my list of all Truffaut-movies:

1954: Une Visite
No DVD available

1957: Mistones; Les / Mischief Makers; The
USA: 24.08.1999 Fox Lorber [1.33:1; includes "Antoine & Collette"-segment out of "L’Amour a vingt ans / Love at Twenty"]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.33:1; Part of the "Les Quatre Cents Coups" MK2-DVD; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1958: Une Histoire d’Eau
No DVD available

1959: Les Quatre Cents Coups / The 400 Blows
USA: Criterion [2.35:1 non-anamorphic; OOP]
USA: 23.04.2002 [2.35:1 non-anamorphic]
USA: TBA (2003) Criterion
UK: 16.02.2002 Tartan [2.35:1 anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [2.35:1 anamorphic; includes short-film "Les Mistones"; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1960: Tirez Sur le Pianiste
USA: 23.04.2002 Fox Lorber [2.35:1 non-anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [2.35:1 anamorphic; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1961: Tire au Flanc
No DVD available

1961: Jules et Jim
USA: Criterion [2.35:1 non-anamorphic; OOP]
USA: Fox Lorber [2.35:1 non-anamorphic]
USA: TBA (2003) Criterion
UK: 26.08.2002 Tartan [2.35:1 anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [2.35:1 anamorphic; feature and bonus-material with english subs]

1962: L’Amour a vingt ans / Love at Twenty
USA: 24.08.1999 Fox Lorber [2.35:1 non-anamorphic; "Antoine & Colette"-segment by Truffaut; includes short-film "Les Mistones"]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [2.35:1 anamorphic; part of the "Baisers volés"-MK2-DVD; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1964: La Peau Douce / Soft Skin; The
USA: 23.04.2002 Fox Lorber [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]
UK: 16.12.2002 Tartan [1.66:1 anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature and bonus-material with english subs]

1967: Fahrenheit 451
USA: Image Entertainemnt [1.85:1 non-anamorphic]
USA: TBA (2003) Universal
France: 19.06.2002 MK2 [feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]
France: 19.06.2002 MK2 ["Coffret Collector": DVD + novel; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1968: Mariee etait en Noir; La / Bride wore Black ; The
USA: 23.01.2001 MGM [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]

1968: Baisers volés / Stolen Kisses
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; includes "Antoine & Colette"-segment out of "L’Amour a vingt ans / Love at Twenty"; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1969: Sirène du Mississippi; La / Mississippi Mermaid
USA: 23.01.2001 MGM [2.35:1 non-anamorphic]

1969: L’Enfant Sauvage / Wild Child; The
USA: 24.07.2001 MGM [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]

1970: Domicile Conjugal / Bed and Board
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1972: Deux Anglaises et le Continent; Les / Two English Girls
USA: 01.06.1999 Fox Lorber [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002: MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature and bonus material with english subs; restored to it's original length]

1973: Nuit Americaine; La / Day for Night
USA: 18.03.2003 Warner Bros.
France: 04.12.2002 Warner Bros. [1.78:1 anamorphic; 2-DVD Special Edition; feature with subs, no specs for bonus-material]
Germany: 12.12.2002 Warner Bros. [1.78:1 anamorphic; 1-DVD Edition; feature with english subs, french audio-commentary without subs]

1973: Une Belle Fille comme moi / Such a Gorgeus Kid Like Me
No DVD available

1975: L’Historie d’Adèle H. / Story of Adèle H.; The
USA: 23.01.2001 MGM

1976: L’Argent de Poche / Small Change
USA: 23.01.2001 MGM [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]

1977: L’Homme qui aimait les Femmes / Man who loved Women; The
USA: 23.01.2001: MGM

1978: Chambre verte; La / Green Room ; The
No DVD available

1979: L’Amour en Fuite / Love on the Run
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature with english subs, bonus-material without subs]

1980: Dernier Metro; Le / Last Metro; The
USA: 25.05.1999 Fox Lorber [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]
UK: 26.08.2002 Tartan [1.66:1 anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature and bonus-material with english subs]

1981: Femme d’a Cote ; La / Woman next Door; The
USA: 15.01.2002 Fox Lorber [1.66:1 non-anamorphic]
France: 20.02.2002 MK2 [1.66:1 anamorphic; feature and bonus-material wit english subs]

1983: Vivement Dimanche! / Confidentially Yours / Finally, Sunday
USA: 23.04.2002 Fox Lorber [1.85:1 non-anamorphic]

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Christian,
Good list, here are my comments -- as I mentioned above in this thread, Such a Gorgeous Kid Like Me is out on DVD from R2 Spain (no subtitles and unforetunately P&S).
The shorts from MK2 -- Les Mistons & Antoine et Colette do have English subtitles and Antoine at Colette in particular has a beautiful (2.35:1 anamorphic) transfer.
Fahrenheit 451 from MK2 is 1.77:1 anamorphic with French, not English subtitles, as the film is in English. I imagine that most of the extras are in English too, but I'd have to check.
Ted

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
does anybody know a french DVD online store.

Amazon.fr doesn't seem to list subtitles

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
does anybody know a french DVD online store.
Amazon.fr doesn't seem to list subtitles
Link Removed has much better info than Amazon, especially they usually have high res scans of the fronts and backs of DVD boxes. No one is immune to incorrect info though, so do you research.
So far as using Cinestore, I just had a horrendous customer service experience with them, so caveat emptor.
Ted

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
anyone have any info about the new HK edition of The 400 Blows? It has a DD 5.1 track, but the aspect ratio is 1.78:1. The OAR should be 2.35:1, so it would be heavily cropped then.

Ali B

Second Unit
Well, it's over 2 years since the last post in this thread and over 5 years since it was first started, and only now has there been a change: Une belle fille comme moi is coming out in the UK (R2 PAL) on 19th Feb from CCD, who have got the rights to the Truffaut titles now (Tartan previously had them but they are now all OOP except the 'best of' set which is available until they run out of stock). There's also a HK version as well, but quality is unknown (it's $12 on Yes Asia).

Le Chambre Verte is now the only wholly-Truffaut directed feature not on DVD - surely someone must pick this up for release soon?

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Ali B said:
CCD, who have got the rights to the Truffaut titles now
Presumably the non-Gorgeous Cinema Club titles are ports of the Mk2 releases? And the previously un-translated French supplements are now English friendly?
Presumably anyone who really wanted these titles bought them years ago; maybe that's why I can't pinpoint any solid info on the 'net this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks