Need help with DVD screen captures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Gates, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Justin Gates

Justin Gates Agent

I'm using WinDVD and I have hypersnap-dx. I want to be able to make some screen captures of DVDs. I've found the best way in hypsersnap is to just use the Print Screen button because it only captures the image and not the surrounding window. The only problem I'm having is on anamorphic discs the screen capture is not at the correct aspect. The resulting image looks like a anamophic image that is "unsqueezed", every thing is tall and narrow.
    What am I missing or doing wrong?
    Here is an example, this image should be 2.35:1, it is from resident evil:
    [​IMG]

2. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

First of all, don't use "print screen". If you have Hypersnap, you want to enable special captures (DVD), and then the hot key is "Scroll Lock".

Then, imediately save the capture, and use Irfanview (free) to open it up and resize it. You need to resize it from 740x480 to 854x480 (use the bell resize filter to preserve picture quality).

Good luck.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I noticed the same type of thing when I use Mediamatics DVD player to capture the dvd images. I use paintshop pro to put them back to the exact aspect ratio.

4. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

how would you go about doing this in Photoshop? I probably already know, but am lazy right now to go figure it out myself ... [​IMG] -Brice

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    image - resize

from the menus up top.

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I have Interactual. How do I perform a screen capture?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I also have Interactual and it does not do that function. Only my Mediamatics DVD player does it. I have version 6.00.1120 and it is the simple click of a menu button.