What's new

NEED HELP - Marantz MM9000 - What pre-amp to go with?? THX?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff James

Agent
I am new to seperates and very excited about getting into them. I just purchased a MM9000 and after reading a bazillion reviews and even talking to people running this amp with my same 5 speaker setup (Klipsch reference series - and JBL PB10 subwoofer), I've decided that I couldn't go wrong for the money spent (around $600).

Now, I have been trying to get a good deal on the Marantz AV9000 to match but ran into a dillemma. I noticed this Outlaw Audio Model 950 Pre-amp. It carries all the 6.1 and 7.1 features unlike the AV9000. It's not hugely important to me because I haven't moved to the 6th or 7th speaker yet but it would be nice to know that I could one day with the Outlaw 950. The price on the Model 750 can't be beat either. I will spend a min. of $1000 on the Marantz Pre-amp...I can't find a better deal anywhere.

So here is my question...the Marantz MM9000 and AV9000 are both THX Ultra Certified but the Outlaw Audio 750 pre-amp is not. Am I going to miss out on anything by hooking up the NON THX certified pre-amp to my THX certified AMPLIFIER??? Is this THX symbol just a stamp of approval or is the sound processed differently??

I guess I'm leaning towards the matching AV9000 for my AMP but this outlaw product has better features...the Marantz pre-amp limits you to DD 5.1 and DTS.

Any opinions on what direction I might move?? Thanks so much for your help guys!

-J

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
IMO while the Marantz pre amp is a decent unit its outdated and not a good buy anymore (esp at the price you've quoted) I'd look at the other two popular pre amps available around your budget price those being the Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066. There has been tons of threads on both these units as of late so you should have no problem learning about both. I own the Rotel and love it but both are worth of consideration.

Jeff James

Agent
I will look into the Rotel...so thanks for that suggestion. Any opinion on the THX stuff I mentioned??

Thanx so much for your reply!

-J

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
i think that in terms of sound and build quality, the Marantz would match up favorably with the Outlaw or even the Rotel. But this unit is a little dated, in that it doesnt have all the newest surround formats. So if you are really interested in 7.1, 6.1, and want the ability to upgrade, then go for the Outalw or the Rotel. but if you just want a sweet sounding unit that does 5.1 Movies and Music really well, spring for the Marantz. BTW, I think that you should be able to find the Marantz pre online for around $800 or so. That price that you were quoted seems a little high.

Jeff James

Agent
I agree with you on all of this...this is why I was attracted to the Outlaw...it had all the updated surround formats.

Still trying to get someone's take on running a NON THX certified PRE-AMP with the Marantz MM9000 which IS THX certified. Any opinions on this would be great if you'd like to voice emm....thanks again for all the responses guys...it makes investing money in these things a bit easier on the nerves.

-J

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that for the most part, THX is kind of BS. Yes, it is in some way reassuring to see THX on a peice of equipment, but basically all the THX symbol means is that one unit tested and passed the THX criterias and paid the fee to have THX on its faceplate. As for mating a THX amp with a non-THX preamp, this has almost nothing to do with how the sound quality will come out in the end. THX certified preamps are only THX certified because they include the THX surround formats. It has little, or nothing, to do with how the preamp will sound and how well it is built.

Jeff James

Agent
Good to know...here's how I look at it after reading this stuff...THX or NON-THX....if I go with a quality pre-amp, It should sound great either way. Would you all agree??

Hey Andrew, that Rotel looks really freakin nice!!! I found the "shootout" between that and the Outlaw. A good read for sure. I think I have now decided to stray from the Marantz AV9000 simply because it is limited to DD 5.1/DTS...basically it doesn't offer the future...6.1 and 7.1 and that concerns me. The firmware upgrading for the Rotel seems to be an amazing feature as well. Any idea where I might grab the best deal on the Rotel??

Thanx again for all the help guys...

-J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks