What's new

Need help desperately: how to disconnect malfunctioning car alarm (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I know this forum is for car audio/video, but I'm really, really in need of advice. You can PM or e-mail me too if you want.

Just got back home after being stuck for an hour and a half at a grocery store because my car alarm disabled my starter for no apparent reason.

* The car is an 1986 Celica w/manual transmission.
* The alarm is piece of junk 6(?) year old Prestige (it came with the car--I would never have bought that brand myself).
* And yes, this really is MY car. :D

With NO warning whatsoever, it just won't let me start the car. But if I let it sit for 5 to 20 minutes, it mysteriously works. But this time, it took three 20 minute "sessions" to get it to work.

It used to do this every six months; now it's every month.

So to my question: Is there a simple or inexpensive way to disconnect the alarm? Right now, I can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. And my cool buddy :emoji_thumbsup: who came to pick me up (that's when the car finally started!) also suggested it might be a bad starter solenoid--does that sound like a possibility too?

Thanks so much.

LJ

brentl

Senior HTF Member
First thing I'd do is pull the fuse for the alarm and see if it affects anything. It should be an inline fuse.

Find the alarm "brain" and disconnect it from the rest of the system. You'll probably need to rehook the starter wire to remove the relay that they would have included in the install.

The FIRST thing you should do is see if you have the "install guide" for the alarm. It should tell you what colours do what. MOST people put the "brains" close to the steering column. It may not even be mounted to anything, or may just be twistied to a wiring loom.

I wish I was there I could find it quickly for you!!

Brent
---- Find the install guide
---- buy a "chiltons" or some other repair guide. It will show you the wiring diagrams.

Start there.

Even trace back from the cute blinking light and you'll run into the "brain" quick enough.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Brent: thanks for the help. A guy at Tweeter said about the same thing (& they charge about $85 to take the whole thing out).

LJ

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sure, but if it is JUST the starter solonoid(Idoubt it) you may want to put it back in??

Brent

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Well, getting a radio out of this car is major b*tch, so I seriously doubt anyone would want to break into it.

LJ

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Check under your dash under the steering wheel. I had to disconnect one of mine back in the day and that's where the brain was hidden. Find the brain and you can kill the whole system. Shouldn't take 20 minutes IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks