What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Need HD advice for my new PS3... (1 Viewer)

keln57

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I just bought a PS3 and believe it comes with component cables...my tv is an HD tv but can only produce 1080i picture, so am I wasting my time buying a DVI to HDMI cable, or should I be just fine with the component cables it comes with? Will movies and games still look great in 1080i with the cables it comes with? Thanks for your help.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I'm using component cables and 1080i with my Xbox, and the picture looks fantastic while gaming or watching anything else.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One thing. Are you sure your new PS3 actually came w/ the proprietary breakout component video cables instead of the standard breakout cable w/ composite video output? The actual component video breakout would have 5 output connectors -- 2 for audio and 3 for video. If it only has 3 output connectors, then it's probably composite (via the yellow connector), not component.

Normally, you have to buy the optional component video breakout cables separately (for maybe ~$20) unless Sony's changed what they include in the box recently (or you got some sort of special deal).

_Man_

keln57

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Actually, it came with composite cables, I apologize. Can I use any component cables, or do I have to buy the PS3 specific components? I have unused components for an older DVD player I am not using. Thanks again for your help.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hmm... I bought mine a while back and they did come with component cables AND composite ones.
Well, I don't think u can just use any component cables. It actually needs to terminate to that PS3 input on one end and components on the other.

Real Name
Germán Ramirez
You can use a PS2 component cable on the PS3. Sony did well in providing conveniences. A universal PSU, video cable compatibily with PS2, and being able to use PC controllers. Are you in US? I've never heard of a US PS3 coming with component.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
In Mountain Top, PA in the US of A. And I bought it here and they did come with components. I had used the PS3 on my old Z1 which only had component input. It didn't come with an HDMI cable. That's for sure!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You can use a generic HDMI cable with the PS3, but you need to use a specific-to-the-PlayStation component cable. Go to a Best Buy or Wal-Mart or someplace that sells the console and look in the videogame section to find the cable.

Also, if you want to get 5.1 surround sound you will need to use either HDMI or buy an optical cable, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks