What's new

Need Advice on MiniDV Camera (1 Viewer)

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help guys, every one of you has been a big help.:emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like I am going with the Sony TRV38, after doing all the research I have done, it sounds the best for me.

I will probably order it from IbuyDigital.com . This sounds like a reputable dealer and their prices are great.

Any last comments on the camera or the dealer?

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys!~~~

As far as editing on a PC goes, a 7200RPM disc drive is a must, regardless of size. 256-512mb of RAM should be adequate, as well as a decent processor (1GHz range).

With Firewire you should have no issues with dropped frames. "Capturing" from a digital source is a lot different than capturing an analogue sournce, in my experience at least. I'v never had any issues capturing digitally on even slower, poorly equiped PCs.

If you choose to get MiniDV, which is still prolly the best route, do yourself a favour and get an extended warranty. Repairing a unit, for instance, if the read or write heads loose their factory alignments costs hundreds of dollars. I paid $100 for my extended warranty and within months I had to have the unit fixed (it cost $318). :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I use a Sony TRV900 at my work and it has held up very well on tape transport and play/record heads. However, the firewire jack is need of repair after frequent plugging and unplugging for editing. Just something to keep in mind in your usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks