What's new

need advice -- have a Sony HTS HT-DDW660 (1 Viewer)

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
I apologize in advance for any ignorance on my part.

I own a sony HT-DDW660 unit that came with 5 speakers and a sub woofer.

Here are a list of issues/questions/etc...

1) I've tried to set the levels of the speakers but it seems impossible using the cycling sound -- its like trying to hit a rat with a hammer.

2) On some DVDs, whether its a television show or a theatrical release, the ambient noise, soundtrack, gaffer noise, etc... can overwhelm the dialogue to the point where its almost impossible to hear? Is there a setting that I'm missing to negate this?

3) We were watching Ken Burns "The War" documentary and I noticed that after a loud mortar sound effect the dialogue track would temporarily go way down, then back up in a second or two. Is this normal?

4) This was mentioned in the reviews of this unit I've read on-line (this was a gift) but the instruction that came with this unit are pretty lousy. Is there an on-line source that is a little more conversational than your average manual?

thanks in advance for any help!

John

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I haven't seen The War, so don't know if there is something odd about the production or the DVDs. It sounds like you may have some sort of dynamic range filter enabled on the system. Try to find and disable it. Once you've calibrated your system make sure you turn off any pre-set digital signal processing modes like "concert hall" "rock" and that sort of thing. Then see if you have the same issue.

Can't help you on the manual issue.

Regards,

Joe

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
thanks for the advice. I'll see about purchasing one of the calibration systems you mentioned. I don't own an HD TV yet, but I am interested in getting better audio results.

As far as the manual comment goes, I was just wondering if there is a Home Theater Guide for Dummies website some where.

thanks again,

John

john402052000

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bailey
is a dynamic range filter the same thing as "night viewing" (a setting on my unit) where the range is compressed so the explosions aren't too loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks