What's new

Need a new TV. about 40" and low cost. (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
One of the bedroom TV's blew up last night. One solid "pop" and no more picture. It's a 14 yr old Sony 36" tube tv connected to a rarely used DVD player and uVerse, both via SVHS cables.

Certainly not going to fix it. Was thinking about replacing it with this Samsung 720p Plasma PN43F4500AFXZA which is running just under $400.

It's been a really long time since I went TV shopping so I'll go visit some stores and look at the picture quality. I also will be using the TV speakers for 90% of the sound, so that's important. Basically looking for something around 40" and pretty low cost for some casual nightime viewing.

Thanks,
Jon

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean this as a prying question, but are there other people in your house or are you in an apartment block? Bass travels horribly efficiently late at night and a full on sound might be great for you but unlikely to win you many friends! I merely mention this because we are in a similar situation and in the end we chose a bass-light TV because of this problem.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would stick with a 42" plasma of 720P.

Between Samsung, LG/Zenith or Panasonic...find the best deal. I'm not a fan of Samsung, so it would be my third choice.

By the way, the town I live in has an Alco, they sold 720P Panny 42" all year for $500. I haven't been in a while, so I expect even they have the "last few"/floor samples down to under $450 by now.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
So wife went to the local retailer, looked at several TV's and said the Samsung Plasma looks better then Vizio or Westinghouse in the same price range, although there is a 46" Westing house for the same price, $399

We picked up the Samsung, connected it to uVerse using Comp cables. Looks nice, sound is good. Need to pick up an HDMI cable since the TV has 3 HDMI inputs and one Component input. The DVD player does not have HDMI output.

And sound volume is not an issues, except for with wife if she is reading of something in the same room.

Thanks All.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks