What's new

Need 7.1 receiver for Fluance speakers (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I need help on finding a good 7.1 receiver to go with the Fluance SXHTB speakers. I am going to start out with a 5 speaker system, but want a good 7.1 receiver for future upgrades. I am going to watch movies 80-90% of the time. Audeyssey and on screen features would be nice, but I can live without them if I need to. I was hoping to spend between $200-$400.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check out the Onkyo 507 or 607. Also look at the Denon 1910. Others to consider include Yamaha, Pioneer, and Harmon Kardon.

FWIW, I had a Harmon Kardon 325 and an Onkyo 705 with mine. That was probably not the best route at the time (spending more on the HK receiver than the speakers) but I did get it right eventually.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
Thanks David for the suggestions. I was looking at getting the Onkyo 607, but read a lot of problems on them getting really hot and making whining noises. The Denon 1910 is the one I am thinking about getting, just the price seems a little high for me. Any other suggestions?

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
The 590 is only a 5.1. I am looking for a 7.1, I will be buying a receiver next Friday, since that's when I get paid. I just found a good deal on the Denon 1910 for $429! Are there any other receiver like the 1910, but for a better price besides the 607?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't worry about the 607 having issues... Any receiver will overheat if in an enclosed area. Give it breathing room and you will be fine. Not sure what the whining noises are you read about.

I do like the Denon better since it has a better version of Audyssey. But I would not exclude the Onkyo if you get a great deal on it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 590 is only a 5.1. I am looking for a 7.1

I should have looked closer!

Are there any other receiver like the 1910, but for a better price besides the 607?

Maybe the Yamaha 565 or 663 and a Sony or two but a 1910 for $429 is hard to beat.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I was planning on ordering a receiver today but I had to put it off until next friday, but I was also curious, will there be a noticeable sound difference between the Yamaha HTR-6080 and the Denon AVR-1910? I can get the 6080 for $300 shipped or the 1910 for $430, not sure if thats with shipping though.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even if there was a noticable difference in sound quality, you probably couldn't tell which one you liked best. Did that make any sence? In other words, at your price point features and connectivity should be the deciding factors (and price, of course). I'm sure you would be happy with the way either one sounds. I think music is where Yamaha really shines, though.
The 6080 is a couple of years old now and doesn't directly support DolbyTrueHD and DTS MasterAudio (though it would work with a BR player that decodes internally. Not all do). That is a good price for the 6080. Is it new? Is it from an authorised dealer? Still, I'd prefer the 1910 for it's up-to-date feature list. But it's your call.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
Yeah, it was on e-bay brand new with a 1 year warranty, not sure if they're authorized dealer though. I guess if there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in the receiver, then I mind as well save the $130 and get the 6080.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
But the 1910 does have Audyssey room correction with it's Dynamic Volume and EQ and it decodes the new lossless sound formats found on BluRay discs. I'd still get the Denon just for those two reasons. And the 6080 only has two hdmi inputs (vs. 1.2a). I just meant that the core sound quality would be simular. The Denon is way ahead on features and connectivity. Worth the extra $130 IMO.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I agree............. The Audyssey and HD audio decoding in the Denon is definitely worth the extra $130. If you plan on ever having a blu ray player, the Denon is the way to go.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you are getting the Denon from an authorized dealer also. It would be worth waiting a little longer and paying a bit more to ensure you get the warranty. I would also agree with choosing the Denon out of the two options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks