What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NBA PLayoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Well, the best that the Blazers can hope for now is that they won't get swept in the first round. they're just one game away from the NBA record for consecutive playoff losses.:frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What an amazing LA/Min game 4. For the most part well referee'd. For the most part well played (except for that stretch in the 2nd quarter where neither team could buy a bucket). This game was a "must win" for the Lakers since teams rarely come back from down 3-1, especially without home court advantage. Now game 5 is very pivotal, a must-win for both teams. The great thing is that both teams know they can win on each others' court.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I will say this up front. I am a Pistons fan! Trying to be as objective as possible, but the officiating is driving me nuts. I thought the number 1 seed is supposed to get the benefit of the calls if they are going to be biased.

I guess the NBA wants Tracy McGrady in the next round of the playoffs. I mean what fun is it to promote a team, when you can promote a star. Oh well, I am sure the Pistons will loose this game and the series now.

Brandon

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
WAY TO GO MAGIC 3-1. One more to go.

I didn't see to much of a officiating discrepancy in my honest opinion. I thought the calls were average at best but balanced. It's hard to say that one call here or there in this game decided the out-come 'cause the Pistons were down by double digits almost the entire fourth quarter. At one point it was a 19 point lead.

It is interesting though that both Orlando and Detroit have what the other needs. If Detroit had T-mac or if Orlando had Wallace those respective teams would most likely be playing in the finals.

Min. really let one slip away to night. KG looked really shell-shock at the post game con. I think he knew how big that game was. And what the heck was Troy Hudson doing on the bench for so long for??????? What is really interesting is the great game planing Sanders has done for this series. The Lakers have yet to really answer to that full court press. I bet the rest of the west has taken a good close look at that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The officiating was tilted towards the Magic yesterday, but that did not decide the game. Detroit went cold offensively (again) and they could not stop T-Mac (again). Stick a fork in 'em -- the Pistons are done.

It is interesting though that both Orlando and Detroit have what the other needs. If Detroit had T-mac or if Orlando had Wallace those respective teams would most likely be playing in the finals.
I agree, Mark. Joe Dumars has done a great job rebuilding the Pistons, but now he needs to fill the most difficult hole to make them a true championship contender -- adding a big time scorer. Their only hope this offseason is if the ping pong balls fall their way and Memphis's pick is #2 overall. Detroit gets their pick, as long as it is not #1 overall. They could then take Carmelo Anthony, since LeBron James will go #1.

Also, the Magic would still have Wallace (and Atkins) had they not signed Grant Hill. Dumars was more lucky than smart here, though, since he was trying very hard to resign Hill. When Grant decided to leave anyway, Dumars just made the best out of the situation and executed the sign and trade with Orlando.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
As predicted, there will be no sweeps in the first round. Every series is interesting to me.

I agree that the Pistons are done. I could have sworn they would be playing for the ECC but "that's why they play the games."

My upset choice of the playoffs, the Bucks, are still playing tough and still have a good chance of pulling it out.

The Lakers and Spurs might still win their series but they're going to have to do it in six or seven games. Whoever makes it to the WCC is going to be pretty tired and banged up. The Kings and Mavs are loving that.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I am not surprised at all that the Pistons are going to get beat by Orlando, for the life of me, I still can't figure out how the Pistons got the #1 seed, they just aren't that good. No offense to Piston fans, but their best player is a defensive player with little offensive game.

KG should be speachless after game 4 b/c he cost his team the game. How can a player that is as skilled as KG, get pushed around by Madson? Madson continually pushed Garnett a step or two from KG comfort zone, and was making KG have to make some deep turn-around jumpers. Everytime I saw those I was never confident KG would make them, not to mention KG could drive past Madson to save his life. It was such a tank job by Garnett and the Wolves it makes me sick, you could just see that team melting down when the Lakers were making their charge and the Wolves were running some strang offensive sets.

Man, that Bucks/Nets series is pretty close, won't say it is a good series but it is a close one and that makes it cool. I hope the Bucks can pull it off.

Man, those Suns just don't quit, I thought it was over when the Spurs were up 12 late in the game. Obviously, this will say a lot about the Spurs if they can win this series and not tense up and and go into the tank. Honestly though, the Suns might have the Spurs beat at all positions but PF, Marburry, Hardaway, Marion, and Amare is a darn good starting 4 and has played very well.

Kings should win the next game and the Mavs will close out the mental midget Blazers.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to make excuses but I feel the refs totally handed the game to PHX, Anyone notice the three quick 3 point opportunities PHX received. The fact that they were really close to not being continuations. If you are going to give them that play, then at least call the foul for Parker when he drove. I also felt Malik was screwing up but now its niether here nor there. Spurs need to shoot better than 25% down the stretch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not surprised at all that the Pistons are going to get beat by Orlando, for the life of me, I still can't figure out how the Pistons got the #1 seed, they just aren't that good. No offense to Piston fans, but their best player is a defensive player with little offensive game.
The Pistons are currently built for the regular season -- they have a deep bench (great for 3 games in four nights and to get through injuries), play very tough defense, and their players show up to play every night. However, come playoff time the remaining teams take things up a notch, while Detroit has already been playing that way all season. They do not have another level. Plus, playoff games are rarely on consecutive nights, which negates the advantage of their bench.

To win in the playoffs, you also need to score points, and that is the one area where Detroit can struggle. The same thing happened last year -- they won the Central Division title, but struggled in the first round vs. a bad Toronto team and then were beaten rather easily by Boston.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Also, the Magic would still have Wallace (and Atkins) had they not signed Grant Hill. Dumars was more lucky than smart here, though, since he was trying very hard to resign Hill. When Grant decided to leave anyway, Dumars just made the best out of the situation and executed the sign and trade with Orlando.
Actually that isn't true at all. The Pistons had already agreed to free agent deals with Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins prior to Grants decision to leave. Once he decided that he was going to Orlando, then the trade was worked out and they resigned with Orlando. So the magic would not have Ben Wallace even if Grant didn't go to them. FYI

I am still holding on to a shred of hope, but my thought going into the playoffs was that if minnesota lost to the lakers, KG would be more willing to come to Detroit in a trade for 3 first rounders.

Brandon

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I would love to see Garnett in a Piston uniform, pulling off that big of a trade is very, very difficult in this salary cap era of the NBA. He would be the final piece in building a true championship contender. I hope Dumars can work something out, but I think there's a better chance of the ping pong balls falling Detroit's way than there is landing KG.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
First off. I'd really like to give my biggest props to M.Cheeks, coach of the Trailblazers for how he helped out that little girl before the game the other day. That was one of the classest acts i've seen in a long time.

For those of you that don't know...A thirteen year old girl was set to sing the national anthem before the game between the 'Blazers and the 'Wolves. Half way through she forgot the words. M.Cheeks went over and sang the song with her the rest of the way. What a cool sight.

I have always been hesitant to call out the referees in the NBA for how bad they seem to be. Those that have watched the NBA for the last 15 years or so know that when it comes to officating in the NBA there has pretty much always been one common fact. The stars always get the call. I meran Jordan was famous for it. Its the one thing that really bothers me about the league. The stars should be stars because they are better players. NOt because they get better calls. The ways it is now makes the games at times to come as scripted. And who wan'ts to watch that????

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've always admired Mo Cheeks as an individual and player. Though I wonder what he did to karmically deserve to coach the Jailblazers. ;) :D

Seriously, if that team took on the demeanor, attitude and professionality of its coach, and harnessed its raw talent (I hate 'em but I gotta admit Rasheed Wallace SHOULD BE one of the best 2-3 players in the NBA with his combination of size, talent, speed and skill - it's just his mentality that keeps him back) they would be in the hunt for the Championship every year.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the Jailblazers, how old is Sabonis? He looks like he's in his mid-60s!

I didn't have the privilege of seeing him in his prime, but there are people who say that at his peak, he was the best basketball player in the world--bar none. Even with Michael Jordan available, I think I'd have to take a 7'4" strong center who could shoot threes and pass with the best of them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't know how old Sabonis is, but he can't be older than Vlade, right? :D

I had heard that in his prime Sabonis was the best player in the world...outside of the NBA. Don't remember where or when, but even in his younger more mobile days I doubt he could outrun most players under 7' - I'll still take Jordan. ;)

The only really positive thing about this current Lakers game (in garbage time) is that I don't have to hear the guy in the next apartment building yell "F#@k the Lakers!" every time Minnesota takes a lead. I live in a college area in L.A. and I guess there's always the one guy in the party who is against the home team and, after a few beers, needs to tell the whole block about it. I hope his friends are letting him have it right now...

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Let's see if the Suns take the hint that they're not going to the second round yet. :)

I've never seen a team as tenacious as they are that just refuses to give up. Wish the Spurs had some of that killer instinct.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Speaking of no killer instint. What about the Celtics tonight. They let the Pacers come back from some double digit hole in the fourth. Then they score no points, none, ZERO in the over-time. Basicly giving Indiana new life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks