What's new

National Lampoons Animal House (1 Viewer)

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in the Movies Forum, but maybe it's more appropriate here. Does anyone know why NL Animal House is NOT available on DVD? I do recall seeing an old version of the DVD (or VHS) available on EBay, but I can't find it new anywhere, or even rentable from Blockbuster, Hollywood, etc. Are they planning to issue a special 25th Anniversary Edition this year since I believe the movie was released in 1978?

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
there are 2 versions on DVD. a full screen movie only version and a widescreen collector's editon. However both of them are out of print. There was a rumor that it would be rereleased this year.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Stay away from the full screen disc, even if you find it cheap. It is one of the ugliest dics I've ever seen. It has an extremely grainy image, and at one point the whole image dissolves into a series of blocks. This was a well known glitch at the time. The newer widescreen disc was much nicer looking.

Neil

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I just ran a search for "animal house" and it turned up this thread that was last posted to under two days go. Hope it helps. You have probably already read it though, since it was posted by you.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link to the thread. For some reason, when I tried to look at it yesterday, it showed no responses. I must have had a cookie problem or something.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I'd be a little pissed at Universal if they put out a new, SE of said film with more extras, new transfer, 5.1 etc. I love the film, but the edition that is out is just fine.
They should concentrate on their VAST BACK CATALOGUE LIBRARY, which they are apparently going to do anyway, but if they are going to revist back catalogue titles, may I suggest that they create a revitalized edition of The Thing? :D
Oh, what the hell - TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! :laugh:
Gordy

Mark Hanson

Agent
It appears that most movies sell best in the first couple weeks or release or rerelease. There are advantages of going out of print since it shows up on everyones new release timelines.

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure the studio is aware of all of the unrest caused by the unavailability of this title, particularly around the DVD "guy" holidays: Father's Day, and Christmas.
There is a constant flow of people looking for this title and they are very frustrated when I tell them that it is on moratorium. We're really hoping that an anniversary edition is in the offing. I am anxious to see more back catalog titles, but AH seems to be essential to the happiness of the general DVD community.
When is the next "hallmark" date for this film?
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks