What's new

Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta, teaser poster released (1 Viewer)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Josh, when I first read your post, I also thought you had read it somewhere. No you have cleared that up. Maybe in the future, avoid using something like "word has not been great" in these type of situations. It is easily misleading, regardless of your intentions. That's just my suggestion. :)

I have never read anything on this series/book. I am unsure of the look of V. I don't have a well reasoned argument; movies sometimes depend so much on whether someone looks right or cool, and he doesn't to me. Guess it is a similar reaction to what others have said about Craig taking the role of Bond (I have no problems on that front).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to this film. I enjoyed the trailer, the look of the film and the conceptual art on the posters. I hope it can live up to the book, which was very good.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, it surprises me that there is such negativity here, when there really hasn't been elsewhere. I certainly understand questioning AICN (Especially since Father Geek put V as the #1 film he saw this year), but at the same time, you can't discount it either.

There are multiple reasons you can make for the slip in release date. You are right that the film could be in trouble with the studio, but then, why screen it? More likely, there may have been a problem with marketing the subject matter in the film. It does involve terrorism, and sort of promotes it. Also, having the release date near Guy Faulks Day may have hit too close to home for the Brits. (Tho I love the tagline of the first trailer.)

Then there is the fact that none of the Alan Moore movies so far has even been close to as good as the original books. I do have hope that this and Watchmen (if it ever gets made) will finally get over that hump. The Wachowski brothers seem to grok V, and I would expect the same from Greengrass or Aronofsky, if either directs Watchmen.

Personally, I like the trailers, and I'm very much looking forward to the film.

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
WOW. Talk about a rave review. Granted, Poland is pre-disposed to the Wachowski's (as am I), but this is a love letter. Not a reflection. Guess this just moved up my list for 2006. I loved the GN, but never figured the movie would come close.

I'd love, LOVE, LOVE to be wrong.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Not only did Poland gush over it but, and I can't believe I'm even saying this, but Jeff Wells seemed to really, really like it as well.

I was crushed when this film got pushed back but seeing the trailer and seeing the goddess that is Portman, I forced myself to read the Graphic Novel was surprised by it. It's a powerful tale but naturally, I thought that there is no way a studio film would go this far in terms of the themes that are in the Graphic Novel.

But considering the two reviews, Variety's review, and Aint It Cool News' orgy gush over the film during BNAT in December, V can't get here fast enough.

It's my number 2 most anticipated film for 2006. Here's hoping that it truly is stellar as some of the reviews have suggested.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Same with me, Cory. I just got finished with the novel and wow, was it terrific! This is also my second most anticipated film for this year.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

After reading enough Alan Moore, I know he is a great writer. He's the guy who put the Novel into Graphic Novel.

It doesn't surprise me that much the Jeff Wells likes it. He's always had a certain amount of respect for the Wachowski brothers, and I knew if they did the themes justice in the story that he'd dig the subversive nature of the story.

I'm looking forward to see if Hollywood actually has done one of Moore's stories right for once.

Jason

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This is why I'm dreading the movie. I love the comic, but after revisiting it last month, I can't imagine the film dealing with any of the themes in the book, not in this climate. I of course hope I'm wrong, as I would love to love this movie.

I'm still seeing this film, maybe my low expectations well allow me to be pleasantly surprised (like "X-Men").

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
That quote pretty much confirms for me that they don't look to shy away from the themes of the novel which is great.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, I'm happy with Poland's comments. I was excited enough already, but now the release date can't come soon enough.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I think I will definitely be seeing this at the theater, just because it will be shown on imax screens.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
It's been awhile since I've been this excited about an upcoming release. I'm trying to steer away from a lot of reviews as I don't want to stumble into a spoiler.

Is Poland's review spoiler free??

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well the trailer looked pretty damn good, and I even though I haven't read the GN I'm very excited now. This seemed like yet another project that on paper you could get excited about but that experience told you might be a disaster.

Hopefully this one matches the early hype and becomes one of those reasons people still go to movies with excitement. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks