Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: May December (2023)

Tagline: Some roles are transformative.

Genre: Drama

Director: Todd Haynes

Cast: Natalie Portman, Julianne Moore, Charles Melton, Gabriel Chung, Elizabeth Yu, Piper Curda, Cory Michael Smith, D.W. Moffett, Chris Tenzis, Kelvin Han Yee, Andrea Frankle, Joan Reilly, Mike Lopez, Mikenzie Taylor, Jocelyn Shelfo, Charles Green, Lawrence Arancio, Julie Ivey, Drew Scheid, Fatou Jackson, Hans Obma, Allie McCulloch, Evan Zhu, Hailey Wist, James R Williams, Hope Regina McElveen, Derrick Butler, Christopher Nguyen, Adam Woods, Rocky Davis

Release: 2023-11-16

Runtime: 118

Plot: Twenty years after their notorious tabloid romance gripped the nation, a married couple buckles under the pressure when an actress arrives to do research for a film about their past.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
May December is the new film from Todd Haynes. Natalie Portman plays an actor who is cast to play Julianne Moore's character in a film and meets her to do research.

It is getting some sort of limited theatrical release this weekend before landing on Netflix in December. Of course, Netflix isn't being specific about how many theaters the movie will be playing in and won't report grosses either. But I thought we should have a thread for it. I look forward to seeing it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deadline has an estimate about how wide the release is this weekend. In a nutshell, not very.

Deadline said:
As for May December, it opens in about 90 theaters in 45 markets including The Hollywood Theatre, in Haynes’ native Portland.

Also, some other articles that might be of interest.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Saw it today.

It's creepy but fascinating. More later.

MayDecember.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's creepy but fascinating.
Agreed. I saw it today. It was deeply uncomfortable and messed up, but I didn't want to look away from it either. I'll certainly be thinking about it for a while.

Moore and Portman are great as be expected, and it's so interesting to watch them together. Charles Melton was a real standout opposite them. I'm not familiar with his previous work, so he was a welcome surprise here.

I love that Haynes and Moore have such a longstanding creative partnership, but every time they do something totally different. This couldn't be further away from their last collaboration on Wonderstruck.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wanted to bump the thread as a reminder because May December is now streaming on Netflix. If the nominal theatrical release didn't reach you, you can now watch it at home. Highly recommended from me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Charles Melton just won Best Supporting Actor by the New York Film Critics Circle, so that might give the film added interest for some.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Melton deserves the recognition he is getting and then some. At this point, we expect Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore to be great and they are. Melton was new to me in this film and he is outstanding.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
One of my favorite films in The Go Between. The score from The Go Between is used for the entire film. Watching May/December, it was hard for me to watch without remembering the menace the music conveyed in the 1971 film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this yesterday on Netflix. It's a fascinating albeit discomforting drama with tremendous performances and telling direction. One of the year's best, I'd say.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
One of my favorite films in The Go Between. The score from The Go Between is used for the entire film. Watching May/December, it was hard for me to watch without remembering the menace the music conveyed in the 1971 film.
Not quite the 'entire' score. Composer Marcelo Zarvos adapted Legrand's soundtrack and composed additional original cues.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I’ve seen the film and watched The Go Between afterwards for the 20th time.
Zaveros wrote about 5 minutes

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We ended up watching this on Netflix last night. I didn't think much of it: it feels like a TV movie from the 90s, constantly hints at leading to something but never really got there for me and everyone is wasted in their roles.

I was trying to guess the "twist" (for lack of a better term) and I was giving the movie too much credit.

Likely an unpopular opinion in this thread, but here we are.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I’ve seen the film and watched The Go Between afterwards for the 20th time.
Zaveros wrote about 5 minutes
Here's the track listing. It's much closer to 50-50 (and Zavros also adapted the Legrand sections):

1."Opening"Michel Legrand1:14
2."Elizabeth Drives"Marcelo Zarvos1:56
3."Studying Gracie"Legrand1:54
4."Butterfly Eggs"Legrand1:37
5."Elizabeth Meets Ex"Legrand0:57
6."Storage Room"Zarvos1:06
7."Old Photos"Legrand0:36
8."Joe and Father Talk"Zarvos0:38
9."School Visit"Zarvos0:51
10."Graduation"Legrand2:18
11."Gracie Cries"Zarvos1:36
12."Mirror Images"Legrand0:47
13."Joe Showers"Legrand1:12
14."Dropping Off Mary"Zarvos0:58
15."The Letter"Zarvos0:32
16."Elizabeth On Set"Legrand2:33
Total length:20:45

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Needless to say I didn't like MAY DECEMBER . The score did not help. Watch THE GO BETWEEN which won the Palme D'Or at Cannes and won 4 BAFTAs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those interested, the screenplay by Sammy Burch is now available to read.

Needless to say I didn't like MAY DECEMBER .
Why not?

I mean this as a serious question and not to argue or make you get defensive.

The only thing you've mentioned here is that the score is reused from another film. It is understandable if you didn't like that choice. But you haven't offered any other critique of the film. What else didn't you like about it?

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Todd Haynes' 'stranger that fiction' fictionalized version of the Mary Kay Letourneau case is a stylish, if quixotic, take which explores the question of what is the truth where only two people truly know what happened.

Natalie Portman plays “Hollywood star” Elizabeth who is researching her role as Gracie (Julianne Moore), an older woman who, 20 years prior, seduced the then teenage Joe (Charles Melton) while in prison (where she also bore their baby). Elizabeth has been released and is raising their now three children in the same town that the scandal took place. The fact that they still reside there causes everyone around them to walk on eggshells.

Haynes and screenwriter Samy Burch (Alex Mechanik has co-story credit) take a sideways view of the case with a tricky POV that includes both 'real' and 'reel' life. Elizabeth isn't your usual actress meeting her subject for a simple coffee and a chat. She embeds herself with Gracie and the family. The line between them isn't just blurred - it's obliterated. Haynes and cinematographer Christopher Blauvelt quite consciously sets up a duality straight out of Bergman's PERSONA.

As interesting as that connection is, the one between Gracie and Joe is just as fascinating. Just who is the 'grown up' in the marriage is in question, as is one about who is really in 'control'. The movie never fully answers it - but, that's seems part of Haynes' intent here (one particularly dastardly development is brought up, but cleverly left hanging). The parallel story of Elizabeth's movie adds yet another layer of matching storytelling (amusingly, there is also a prior 'TV Movie' adaptation of Gracie's story that pops up in conversation, complete with clips). Elizabeth's is an “Indie Film” - so, it must have more integrity! The script clearly enjoys taking shots at the industry, even if one never fully believes in the movie within a movie set-up.

Added to the mix is Haynes' penchant for melodrama, most exemplified here by the use of Michel Legrand's very emphatic score for THE GO-BETWEEN (Marcelo Zavros did the adaptation as well as original music). Much of the dialogue is also quite explicitly on point and overheated. Where MAY DECEMBER has issues is that it never resolves it's own thesis - if it has one at all. Several intriguing notions are brought out, but doesn't satisfactorily them. Entirely enjoyable on a surface level, and the main acting trio is exemplary, but it's still a relatively minor work in Haynes' filmography which includes such fine films as and FAR FROM HEAVEN, WONDERSTRUCK and CAROL (which shares some DNA with this one).

may4.jpg

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
We ended up watching this on Netflix last night. I didn't think much of it: it feels like a TV movie from the 90s, constantly hints at leading to something but never really got there for me and everyone is wasted in their roles.

I was trying to guess the "twist" (for lack of a better term) and I was giving the movie too much credit.

Likely an unpopular opinion in this thread, but here we are.

I watched it tonight and agree with you.

While there was an underlying “menace” or sense of “unease” early on that was hinting at some dramatic fireworks later on, it never really went anywhere. What was resolved?

IMO, nothing, really. Other than Gracie was the abuser. Which we sort of knew.

What’s next for these messed-up characters? Doesn’t say.

Acting is good (I felt sympathy for Melton in a couple of scenes), and score is fine (even if adapted). But ultimately not all that satisfying. My wife who has seen Haynes’ Carol liked that better as it had some resolution.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks