What's new

NASA/Project Artemis: “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,"" (1 Viewer)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Artemis III will launch in 2025... here's all the info regarding what will happen.

I don't understand this, Artemis ll isn't scheduled until next year and the landing (Artemis lll) is dependent on a Lunar Starship which would require multiple refuelling missions in Earth orbit, and hasn't test flown yet. NASA are notorious for programme slippage so this timetable seems hopelessly optimistic. The other thing that really bothers me is the current lack of redundancy in the programme. It might have been acceptable in 1969 to have no way to rescue astronauts stranded on the Moon but now 50 years later it is surely necessary to have a backup.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Artemis II may well launch next year but there is no chance of Artemis III in 2026 because there is no lander. The SpaceX Starship hasn't made it to orbit yet and to develop in orbit refuelling and develop and human rate the Lunar landing variant will take more than two years, if indeed the 100tn Starship proves suitable for the project (which I seriously doubt).

With the successful launch yesterday of the ULA Vulcan Centaur, hopefully the next mission in the Spring will be the Sierra Space Dream Chaser, really looking forward to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks