What's new

NASA/Project Artemis: “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,"" (1 Viewer)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
home-art.jpg

Artemis is the first step in the next era of human exploration. Together with commercial and international partners, NASA will establish a sustainable presence on the Moon to prepare for missions to Mars.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Now all we need to do is get media people to refer to Artemis as "the Goddess of the Moon" rather than "Apollo's sister". :rolleyes:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Nightlaunch is just unbelievable.

One of biggest regrets in life was missing a Shuttle Launch in late 80's. A friend worked for NASA so we literally got base passes (not allowed anymore) and would have been at the closest 'public' watch position outside the classic Press/VIP stands. It was an afternoon launch but was scrubbed with a minute+ left and I wasn't able to get back ever to see it.

I did once get a glimpse of a Dawn launch from DisneyWorld in the late 90's. Didn't get very high above the horizon, but it was quite visible to see the engine burning for a couple minutes and listening on someone's TV.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Spectacular night time launch of this rocket cobbled together from 1970s Space Shuttle parts. Having watched Neil & Buzz walk on the Moon in 1969, zero progress has been made in the intervening half century. Except for the capsule, everything else is discarded, and NASA hadn't even the forethought to build a lunar lander at the same time. From the commentary you would think that this was the first Moon programme. As an 8 year old in 1969, and life long space enthusiast, I expected to see humans on Mars by now. To say I am disappointed with progress would be an understatement.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I've been following the mission closely but it seems to have fallen off the regular news schedules. I can't understand why there is so little buzz about Artemis and the selection and progress of the astronauts chosen to take part, who are they? Also can't understand why a contract for a lunar lander wasn't awarded years ago, as it seems likely that Orion will soon be orbiting the Moon with astronauts on board but without a vehicle to land. The SpaceX Lunar Starship seems a very long way away. Apollo's 18, 19 & 20 were cancelled due to lack of interest, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the costly Artemis programme suffer the same fate.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched the live transmission, the picture of Earth from the returning capsule was quite something. Looked like a flawless reentry which bodes well for a crewed mission, shame that NASA didn't award a lunar lander contract years ago. It's 50 years since Apollo 17 and I must admit to disappointment that we seem to be replicating those times and how little advancement has been made in the intervening half century. Still there's plenty to look forward to with the launch of Dream Chaser (game changer) next year. It would be great to see Dream Chaser journey to the Moon and then land on a runway on Earth.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It seems extraordinary today that Walt's flight on Apollo 7 in October 68 was less than a year before Apollo 11 landed on the Moon. The next (crewed) Artemis mission is not scheduled to launch until 2024 at the earliest and who knows when Artemis 3 (landing) will occur. When watching Neil & Buzz walk on the Moon as an 8 yo, I hoped to live long enough to see humans on Mars, and certainly expected it to have happened by now.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
It seems extraordinary today that Walt's flight on Apollo 7 in October 68 was less than a year before Apollo 11 landed on the Moon. The next (crewed) Artemis mission is not scheduled to launch until 2024 at the earliest and who knows when Artemis 3 (landing) will occur. When watching Neil & Buzz walk on the Moon as an 8 yo, I hoped to live long enough to see humans on Mars, and certainly expected it to have happened by now.

There's not a space race going on these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks