What's new

My predictions for 2002: Star Wars, Indy, BTTF (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
That's right, in light of the recent news from Bob Gale I actually......get this, ACTUALLY BELIEVE A BTTF RUMOR. This is news from someone who knows what he's talking about, and while he could be wrong about the thing holding up BTTF being over at the end of this year, he seems informed and I believe he's right on this one. From most reports, the BTTF DVDs have basically been finished for some time, and I don't think Universal will have much trouble putting out a killer box set in 2002.
Indy. Why on EARTH would I think Indy would come out next year? Well, the way I look at it, Paramount needs a heavy hitter. Last year they released Braveheart at the end of August. This year it was Forrest Gump, and soon the Godfather trilogy. What else is left? I know Paramount realizes the priority behind this, and what with some recent rumors of at least Raiders possibly coming to DVD, I believe the first film and maybe the entire trilogy will be out by the end of next year.
Star Wars. Once again, is there really any good reason to think this? Weeeeeeeell....once again, it's a hunch. The nearing release of Episode I shows Lucas is finally putting his support into DVD, and the fact that next year is the 25th anniversary of the release of Star Wars: A New Hope AND the release of the latest episode of the Star Wars saga, Episode II, I think George will have time for this one, if not the entire trilogy (it helps that he'll have a bit of downtime after Episode II is released to concentrate on this release as well).
Those are my predictions, go ahead and poke a million holes in'em :).
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Bob Gale co-wrote the Back To The Future Trilogy with Robert Zemeckis. He said that the thing holding the BTTF DVDs back is an agreement with Columbia over foreign distribution, which is over at the end of this year, so the DVDs should be available next year. You can read the whole interview with him here:
http://www.bttf.com/interviews/2001/bobgale6.shtml
Also, I read today on The Digital Bits (www.thedigitalbits.com) that the head of Universal Home Video has confirmed that the Back To The Future movies, E.T., and Schindler's List are on the slate for release (which means soon).
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Brad M

Second Unit
I sure hope you're right. I know I'll go broke if they are all released around the same time!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Bang!!!
Bang!!!
There, I shot some holes in your theory!!
wink.gif

Actually I think we'll likely see either ANH or AOTC in 2002 from the Star Wars Franchise, the other will show up in 2003. BTTF is a strong possibility and Indy is anyones guess!!
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I would love to have it happen this way. But I still won't be able to believe it until the introductory sequences to the above films are showing on my screen. :)
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
BTTF and ET will be released next year with a lot of other movies we have been waiting for as special editions. Star Wars Trilogy or Indy Jones will not be though. Just my 2 cents.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
According to an extensive section in this week's Variety magazine focusing on DVDs, Paramount tried to bring up releasing Indy with George Lucas a while ago and he simply refused to discuss it. Not that this means anything in a fast-developing DVD market, but it was interesting. As was the series of articles in Variety -- get ahold of it if you can.

YANG

Screenwriter
My prediction for 2002...
WARNER and PARAMOUNT will still be going DD for all releases!I am not optimistic of the upcoming PARAMOUNT's first DTS releases,mostly madeup of kids flicks...nothing special.
WARNER will still be a snapper diehard.
There may be more DTS releases from MGM...???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Well, its been confirmed for a while now that Paramount is well on its way to finishing the Indiana Jones DVDs. Although theres nothing certain about a release date, Id say its pretty safe to assume that these movies will be out next year. My guess would be at the earliest, summer, to as late as holiday season next year. Paramounts not a company known for jerking around its customers, so Im sure this is pretty reliable information.
As for E.T., its always been known that we would get a DVD release after the theatrical re-release next May. So aim for a late 2002/holiday 2002 release for this as well.
The Bob Gale news is definitely promising, and for once, sounds believeable, so if what he says is true, and Back to the Future is, in fact, already completed, I dont see why we shouldnt get an early/mid 2002 release, but then again, this is Universal we're talking about, so anything could happen.
Star Wars Trilogy. I seriously doubt we'll see the second trilogy next year. MAYBE a New Hope at the end of the year. Lucas has not been known to take on two projects at once. The fact that next year is the 25th Anniversay of Episode 4 is a good tie in, but as far as I know, Lucas has never been one to commemorate things as "Anniversay Editions". I could be wrong though. Considering how much of a perfectionist Lucas is, I seriously doubt he'll have time to finish up Episode 2, and have it ready for release next spring and make super ultimate editions of the 3 other movies for 2002. So my prediction is, we MIGHT see Episode 4 by the end of next year, but as for 5 and 6, Id say the chances are next to zero.
[Edited last by MikeEckman on September 06, 2001 at 11:05 AM]

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
As for my predictions on Paramount and Warner supporting DTS...
Paramount has expressed interest in pursueing DTS again (they released a couple DTS Laserdiscs). They have nothing on slate through summer of next year, and are still investigating the possibility of doing it. Theres a small chance we might see a couple movies contain a DTS track by the end of 2002, but that will probably be a trial period to see how comsumer interest it.
Warner has repeatedly said they have no plans to release anymore DTS discs, but as far as I know, they have never said we'll never do it again. I know this isnt promising, but I think we'll see a Paramount DTS DVD before we see another Warner DTS DVD.

YANG

Screenwriter
"they released a couple DTS Laserdiscs..."
The only DTS laserdisc they did offer is TITANIC!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here's my "Educated Guesses" for these titles for next year:
E.T.: 100% Chance. As indicated above, a theatrical Special Edition Re-Release has been officially confirmed for next year with the DVD to follow.
Back to the Future Trilogy: 95% Chance. As of right now, this Trilogy has not been available even on analog VHS tape for over two years. Logic would dictate that this popular series has to be available again for Home Video in the very near future.
Star Wars:A New Hope 25th Anniversary CE - 65% Chance. There was lots of buzz over at The Force earlier this year regarding at least one Star Wars movie coming to DVD every year until all the currently extant movies are available; but this buzz has died down incredibly over the past eight weeks. It could still happen, but it's apparently not a sure thing at this point.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 25% Chance. As indicated in the current Variety article mentioned above, Paramount has not even so much as discussed the topic with Lucas in over two years and it would probably take them a year or so to get it ready once they get "the nod". There has been quite a bit of speculation, however, that the title could be next August's "Paramount Blockbuster". (It should not be forgotten that next year is the 90th Anniversary of the Titanic sinking, but I digress ...)
Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade - 15% Chance.
Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - 0% Chance. The best shot for Empire is 2003 (along with that Clones movie), and 2004 for Return.
All of this is MHO, of course ...
------------------
Joseph
---------------
"As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create."
[Edited last by Joseph Bolus on September 06, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Joseph: I did NOT know next year was the anniversary of Titanic's demise! Despite that, I believe Indy will be a far better bet for Paramount than the already-released-albeit-not-an-SE Titanic that has already sold millions. They probably realize this too. Bring on Mr. Jones!
-Tom
------------------

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
quote: Bring on Mr. Jones!
You call him DR. Jones!!
------------------
~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Haha, I love Short Round.....how could anyone ever find him annoying, or dislike Temple Of Doom for that matter?
-Tom
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks