What's new

My Dorm Theater (1 Viewer)

eddyg

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Hi all, first time poster here
Anyway, I'm heading back to school in a few days and I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any suggestions for my dorm theater.
I have a Planar PD7010 which I plan on taking with me to college. My dorm room is about 12x11, so I should be able to get a pretty large image with the only setback being viewing distance. Can’t really mount anything on the wall, so I’m content with projecting onto the wall. I have a 25ft DVI>HDMI cable (6ft cable just didn’t cut it) along with a 25ft 3.5mm F/M audio cable so I can connect my laptop (while keeping it on my desk) to the projector and speakers. I have an a HTPC (HP m2700n) turned file server for music and movies and such (so my roommates and I can stream from one massive Itunes + movie library) coupled with a Wireless 802.11n router. I have an RF demodulator that takes a coax input and a VGA output to the projector so I can watch cable tv. I have a 3 port HDMI switch for my pc, xbox360, and dvd player. My problem is audio. While I'm content with my weak Logitech Z2300 computer speakers+sub, I know it's going to be a hassle hooking up my speakers to the appropriate device when I switch between inputs. I know my laptop has a 3.5mm jack, and I have an adapter that takes red and white audio from xbox/dvd player/etc so I can hook those up to my speakers. Can anyone recommend me a good audio receiver or switch that is relatively cheap? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks-Gary

Specs
Planar PD 7010 Projector
Xbox 360
N64
Upconverting DVD Player
Logitech Z2300 Speakers (2 Satellites + relatively largeSubwoofer)
RF Demodulator (VGA with 3.5mm audio input)
3 Port HDMI Switch
25ft DVI > HDMI Cable
25ft 3.5mm Audio Cable Extender
Asus F3SV-X1 Laptop w/ Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard
HP m2700n Media PC turned Server running Windows MCE + Xbox 360 Extender w/ 1TB External
Trendnet TEW-633GR Wireless Router/Switch (For media streaming)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Ahhhh, dorm life. We didn't have so much when I was in college, but we still rocked! I had an FM transmitter, so the whole floor could tune in and the whole building could hear us. mmmmm, sweet memories of Pink Floyd at 120 deciBels. Even better; Ride of the Valkyrie from ~16 pairs of speakers at 12000 deciBels!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks