What's new

My Darling Clementine: 97 or 104 minute version? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Saw this years ago based on a nudge from Mr. Crawford.

I remember loving it completely. I have forgotten it completely, too. :P

...but that is a good thing. That means I am primed for a Blu-ray release.

I will await further comments on which is the preferred version. If only the
shorter version is being made available, and it is not preferred, I will hope that
Fox will release this domestically later this year.
Ron, in my humble opinion, there are five fine westerns in which they detailed the O.K. Corral gunfight. Researchers of today say all of them were historically inaccurate, but with varying degrees of inaccuracy. The rank of my favorites is as follows:

My Darling Clementine
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Hour of the Gun
Wyatt Earp
Tombstone

Wyatt Earp was perhaps the most historically accurate of the films followed by Hour of the Gun. I like both westerns a lot. However, the entertainment value of My Darling Clementine and Gunfight at the O,K. Corral makes them my two favorites. I like Tombstone, but mainly because of Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holliday. Also, Wyatt Earp and Hour of the Gun give us more of the back story on Wyatt Earp and his family, particularly, the former film which tells the story of Wyatt from his boyhood until his senior years.

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
I have it on good authority that Fox has licensed this one out to a third party in the US, so I hope that whoever that is will include both versions. It's one of my favourite of Ford's films, though we definitely need them all (all the surviving films) on Blu-Ray. It baffles me that Warner have yet to release his final film, 7 Women, on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yami said:
I have it on good authority that Fox has licensed this one out to a third party in the US, so I hope that whoever that is will include both versions. It's one of my favourite of Ford's films, though we definitely need them all (all the surviving films) on Blu-Ray. It baffles me that Warner have yet to release his final film, 7 Women, on DVD.
If I was a betting man, I would wager on Criterion then. Looks like Red River all over again for me in which I bought the Region B BD then here comes the Region A release.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Looks like Red River all over again for me in which I bought the Region B BD then here comes the Region A release.
If that's true, then 'thank you' from all of us at HTF. :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
If I was a betting man, I would wager on Criterion then. Looks like Red River all over again for me in which I bought the Region B BD then here comes the Region A release.
Did I call it? :D What the hell, it's only money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The specs:

[*]New 4K digital restoration of the theatrical release version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
[*]High-definition presentation of the 103-minute prerelease version of the film
[*]New audio commentary featuring John Ford biographer Joseph McBride
[*]New interview with western historian Andrew C. Isenberg about the real Wyatt Earp
[*]Comparison of the two versions by the UCLA Film & Television Archive’s Robert Gitt
[*]New video essay by Ford scholar Tag Gallagher
[*]A Bandit’s Wager, a 1916 short costarring Ford and directed by his brother, Francis Ford, featuring new music composed and performed by Donald Sosin
[*]NBC broadcast reports from 1963 and 1975 about the history of Tombstone and Monument Valley
[*]Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs
[*]Trailer
[*]PLUS: An essay by critic David Jenkins
[/list]
http://www.criterion.com/films/28570-my-darling-clementine

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
lukejosephchung said:
Don't know if Ron Epstein's seen this one yet, but I'd recommend a blind buy on this one for him like "Red River" if he hasn't... :cheers:
Ron has seen this film and liked it so I expect he'll eventually buy this BD.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Great news. Hopefully Fox will license out The Innocents, The Ox-Box Incident and Flight of the Phoenix to Criterion as well.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I can't understand why Fox didn't release both versions in Europe. Don't they own the rights?!
Luckily I didn't purchase it, so it will be the Criterion. :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
97 or 104 minute version?
I recently got this from Netflix, but only watched the 104 minute version, having seen the shorter version on TV many times. Also enjoyed the thorough Gitt comparison. I'll have a better idea which version I prefer after I pore over the Criterion set for a few days.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
AshJW said:
I can't understand why Fox didn't release both versions in Europe. Don't they own the rights?!
Luckily I didn't purchase it, so it will be the Criterion. :)
In the Press Sheet it looks like the Theatrical presentation is a new 4K scan while the pre-version is listed as an extra and simply labeled as an alternative hi-def presentation. It'll be interesting to see what type of picture quality discrepancies there will be.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tama said:
In the Press Sheet it looks like the Theatrical presentation is a new 4K scan while the pre-version is listed as an extra and simply labeled as an alternative hi-def presentation. It'll be interesting to see what type of picture quality discrepancies there will be.
They had a similar description for the two versions of Red River. Most reviewers were unable to spot major PQ differences.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Than let me rephrase my post
Tama said:
I can't understand why Fox didn't release the 104min. version in Europe also as bonus. Don't they own the rights?!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AshJW said:
Than let me rephrase my post
I can't understand why Fox didn't release the 104min. version in Europe also as bonus. Don't they own the rights?!
A question that will probably never be answered, at least, by Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks