What's new

My Big Screen (1 Viewer)

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard
This is a pic of my Big Screen/Home Theatre set up. The screen is made of theatre screen that I bought off eBay for $25 and the frame is a homemade design. Equipement consist of a Cable PVR, Panamax power conditioer, Oppo 981, Marantz SR4001, Technics EQ, Marantz CD player and Optoma HD72 projector. Speakers are PSB.

It works great and we love it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Very nice system. How long did it take you to assemble and what were the costs involved? Others would like to do similar things so your story would be of interest.

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard
Thank you. The system started by me telling the kids that we'd get a big tv when the basement renovation was completed. Once I got around to shopping for the "big tv" I discovered that the front projector system was the same price - as it turned out it was substantially less because I found the projector for less money and we built the screen.

The entire system was purchased from complete-it.ca with the exception of the Technics EQ (which I already had) and the the cable box.

My brother fabricated the screen frame. It has a frame within the frame that the screen material attaches to and then bolts that attach the two frames that are used to tighten the screen material.

The speakers are PSB. Not sure how many people are aware of this brand but they are very highly rated. The rear speakers were originally going to be a smaller version of the left & right you can see in the picture that sat on speaker stands. Once we got the system up and running I found that they were too low to provide adequate volume. So I moved them into my music room and bought 6" round wall speakers with directional tweeters. Big improvement.

Assembly wasn't an issue but plowing thru all the instruction manuals was a chore. Well worth the effort though.

In all, the system provides an excellent picture with as much volume as any sane individual would want. I love the upconverting Oppo and can't imagine that a $1000 HD DVD player would render a $1000 improvement in picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks