What's new

MS finally closes free upgrade to Win 10 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Microsoft originally said you could get a free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 for a year after Win 10 was released. But they actually let people do this for many years later. Apparently they just closed the loophole.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Microsoft originally said you could get a free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 for a year after Win 10 was released. But they actually let people do this for many years later. Apparently they just closed the loophole.

That is how I got around purchasing an operating system for my new PC build a few years ago. I used the Windows 7 license from a dead laptop to activate the copy of Windows 10 I had downloaded from Microsoft.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's why I recommend that people use that utility I posted elsewhere on this forum to look up and write down the activation key. In case the PC dies you at least have that key written down. IIRC starting with Win 8 the activation key was written in the BIOS, not on an external label.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So who was supposed to make sure the free downloads stopped? I bet they knew about it and let it happen. Otherwise that is alot of money they let slip through there fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks