What's new
World Wide Stereo

moving line through my pj image (1 Viewer)

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed that when I'm viewing something on my pj, depending on the scene, I can see a thin black/grey, horizontal line that moves from the bottom of the screen to the top. Is this related to the the dreaded ground loop in some way?

728x90

Brent_S

Second Unit
Pretty clear indication of a ground loop problem somewhere in the chain.

Most common culprit is the CATV feed. Usually not grounded or not grounded at the same point as the house electrical line.

Personally had the same problem with both an X1 and an SDTV in two different rooms, even with the CATV's first splitter ground connected to the power meter's ground. However, routing the CATV through a Monster 3500 power center fixed the X1 and upgrading to a HD-DVR cable box fixed the SDTV. Apparently, both devices have ground loop interruption circuits built in. YMMV.

-Brent

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar problem. I'm sure it is a ground loop, but in my case, the quick and easy solution was to unhook my composite video input from my projector and only plug it in when I need it. I'm sure this broke the ground loop, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing it in another way.
In my case, it is probably because the composite video goes through the reciever, while my component video come directly off the DVD player. If they both went through the reciever, it might eliminate the problem. I may try that. I originally set it up this way in order to keep the video signal as clean as possible.

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I'll spend some time this weekend trying to figure which component is causing the problem. I'll post what happens so perhaps it can help someone else.

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Anthony,

Did you do some problem solving yet? And what's the score right now? I have a bit of a problem myself with my pj image but I'm not sure if it's a ground loop. I recently moved to another apartment and now I see green horizontal streaks/lines running through my image, mostly visible in black and white films.

I have no idea what's causing them but maybe some of your solutions will work for me too.

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Bart, I finally got to play with it last night.

The problem, as in most of these cases, is the cable signal itself. I'm going to try one of the surge protectors I have to see if that supposedly grounds it. If that doesn't work I'll have to move onto one of those cable-isolater thingys. Can you tell I am super technical? :)

Bart_R

Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, yeah, I can tell :). But I'm even less technical if that's any consolation. Anyway, I hope the protector or isolator thingy works for you. I may have located the problem in my case, too. I hooked up my dvd player to my tv and the lines were still there. So it's either the dvd player or the grounding/wiring in my apartment (i.e. not a faulty pj). I need to bring in another dvd player to be entirely sure. If it's the latter, I might want to try one of your thingamajigs in my place too ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks