What's new

Movie Tournament: Classic Film Scores (1 Viewer)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Rozsa is probably my favorite film composer, but Spellbound is not among his best scores. Vertigo, however, is Herrmann's, as well as Hitchcock's, finest work. For me this is a very easy decision.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Vertigo, for what I suspect are obvious reasons.
I'll use my remaining two nominations on comedies:
Way Out West, an infectiously cheerful (and Oscar-nominated) score by Marvin Hatley for the classic Laurel & Hardy film. As an aside, it's too bad that the vast majority of Leroy Shield's brilliant music for the Hal Roach shorts is excluded from the tourney as it was hardly ever written for a specific film (Our Relations excepted). Instead, he gave Roach & Co. a vast library of stock themes that could be plugged into the shorts as needed.
Mon Oncle's music, while basically consisting of the same theme played over and over again (albeit with many different orchestrations), is nonetheless a signicant factor in the film's charm and appeal. It exudes simple pleasure in each note. The score is by Franck Barcellini and Alain Romans.
Evan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I was having a very hard time choosing between these two excellent scores. So in order to insure that its not shut out:

Spellbound

which I think is the best of the Rozasa scores that I can recall (at least this morning).

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I can finally vote, Vertigo
Jay, Herrmann's Taxi Driver is IMO, his best score and is maybe my favorite film score, but it's from 1976, and out of the bounds of this poll. Otherwise it would have been my first nomination.
I'll try and watch the Hulot films ASAP so I can hear Mon Oncle's score.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Updated.
Brook: Thanks for making the effort to give Mon Oncle a listen before it turns up in this tourney; as well as providing Jay that little reminder. Sometime back, Craig S mentioned interest in running the post-1975 edition of this tourney, but I haven't heard back from him in awhile.
Lew: Ah, such is the cruel mistress of random draw. :) I suspect we'll see a few more Holy Grails fall before this round's over.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
9-1 in favor of Vertigo.
-----------------------------------------------------------
ROUND 1; Bracket 9:

Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)
vs.
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Bernard Herrmann)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
As much as I adore Jerry's deft scoring of Patton, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is among my top three favorite Herrmann scores.
BTW: I feel I can call Jerry Goldsmith "Jerry," because I've seen him in concert three times (for anyone who's seen him in concert, after the evening's over you feel like you know him), and I've met him before! :D Helluva nice guy too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
My only difference with Justin, is that this score would be included in my top listings of all time (for all composers, not just Herrmann). Of course this could be the same thing. :D

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Sorry about nominating Taxi Driver. It's my favorite movie score so it must have caused a momentary brain lock on my part.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm not happy about voting *against* either of these great scores. So, instead, I'm going to vote *for*:
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Bernard Herrmann
Sorry, Jerry. :frowning:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
This poll has a lot of movies I haven't seen in it, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is another one.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Let's not forget we still have 15 wild-card vacancies to fill, guys. Please continue to nom/second scores you feel are deserving of inclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks