What's new

Movie never released on any home video format (4 Viewers)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add a few oldies to the list...
Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in 1939's "THE CAT AND THE CANARY" is a rare comedy/horror viewing treat for some unknown reason.
"JUST IMAGINE" (1930),a fun but very silly sci-fi film predicting the distant fantastic future of 1980 (all they got right was the washroom hot air hand dryers).
"THE MAD GENIUS" (1931),worth seeing just to see Boris Karloff and John Barrymore acting together,however briefly.
"CHANDU THE MAGICIAN" (1932),the film not the serial.A fun and much underrated Bela Lugosi adventure romp thanks to director William Cameron Menzies.
You could list dozens of old titles like this,but the odds of them making it to DVD when they didn't even make it to VHS over the years is a good indicator that they'll remain obscure and unseen by most.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
How about George Axelrod's "Lord Love A Duck"? I saw it on late night TV YEARS ago, but I've never been able to track down a copy.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Henry V, I have to ask, if they've never been on home video before had can you, or how did you, get to see such gems? No cinema in my town, not even the 'art house' one, ever shows such pictures.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Duffy, with James Coburn. I saw this film back in the sixties and thought that it was the worst film I had ever seen. To my surprise and for what it's worth, IMDB rates it pretty high. I'd like to see it again - maybe I was too tired to follow it at the time (could very well have been). So far as I know, it's never been released on laser disc or dvd but I'm not certain about tape.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I have to ask, if they've never been on home video before had can you, or how did you, get to see such gems? No cinema in my town, not even the 'art house' one, ever shows such pictures.
Ever heard of an invention called called cable TV? ;)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I can think of several early 1970's ABC, Made for TV Movies, including Bad Ronald that I would love to have on video.
A Cold Night's Death withe Donald Pleasence and Robert Culp
A Short Walk To Daylight with James Brolin
Isn't It Shocking? with Alan Alda and Edmund Obrien*
and
The Day The Earth Shook with Jackie Cooper
(sorry if I got any of the titles wrong)
*Alan plays the same character, Able Marsh, that James Garner played in They Only Kill Their Masters and Andy Griffith played in three other movies, all of which I would love on video.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Mark_Wilson-
We have the equivalent of PBS up here in Canada called TVO which have played these amongst others uncut.I wish I knew why Hope/Goddard's "The Cat and the Canary" never has officially been available unlike the sequel "Ghost Breakers".As far as I know TCM has played "The Mad Genius",before they started moving their schedule toward films of a little more recent vintage.I'm still waiting for them to replay Errol Flynn's "The Perfect Specimen",it must have been more than a decade since they've broadcast that one!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
1959's The Man Who Could Cheat Death, starring Anton Diffring and Christopher Lee. This was a Hammer Film Productions remake of "The Man in Half Moon Street" (1944). A VHS master was actually prepared by Paramount (who own the rights) in 1993 but it was never released. Hopefully it will see the light of day when they release their other Hammer films (Captain Kronos, and Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell), on DVD next year.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the Rolling Stones documentary Cocksucker Blues has ever been released on home video. Heck, it's next to impossible to exhibit theatrically...
Well, the film's release was never approved by the Stones. The settlement with the director was that they be given all the concert footage that was shot - which allowed them to release their own film of the tour, while he retained exclusive exhibition rights (for 10 years or so) on "CB". He wasn't given DISTRIBUTION rights, so he was only able to schedule "1 off" showings, mostly at university auditoriums.

The Stones version of the film, "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" was commercially released and it too has never been available on any home video format. There was apparently a dispute between ABKCO and the Stones on the ownership of some of the songs that prevented a home release. Now that they have kissed and made up, maybe we will see a home video release of the title.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The Stinkers says Inchon! has never been released on home video.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Skidoo (1966, Otto Preminger) Starring: Jackie Gleason, Groucho Marx, Frankie Avalon, Mickey Rooney, Carol Channing, Austin Pendleton, Peter Lawford, Burgess Meredith, Cesar Romero, George Raft, Arnold Stang, Frank Gorshin

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Films never seenn on video - most of the Alice Faye films - especially all those black and white films she did in the thirties. Most of Bette Bgrables musicals.
Tons of Tyrone Power films - especialy Prince of Foxes, Nightmare Alley and I'll Never Forget You.
Most of Susan Haywards films - Ada, With a Song in my Heart, Soldier of Fortune.
Two Doris Day films - Storm Warning and Starlift.
Some Fox films that seem to be caught in rights problems - the View from Pompeys Head and Wayward Bus.
All those thirties Bing Crosby Musicals made by Paramount but now owned by Universal. Most of these I have never seen.
Does anyone remember the Henry Aldrich series? Universal doesn't.
Rodgers and Harts the Boys from Syracuse.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Never released in any format: THE PHYNX (1970) Warner Bros.
Michael A. Miller, Ray Chippeway, Dennis Larden, Lonny Stevens, Lou Antonio, Mike Kellin, Michael Ansara, George Tobias, Joan Blondell, Martha Raye, Larry Hankin, Ted Eccles,Ultra Violet, Pat McCormick, Joseph Gazal, Bob William, Barbara Noonan, Rich Little, Sue Bernard, Ann Morell, Sherry Miles, Patty Andrews, Busby Berkeley, Xavier Cugat, Fritz Feld, John Hart, Ruby Keeler, Joe Louis, Marilyn Maxwell, Maureen O'Sullivan, Harold Sakata, Ed Sullivan, Rona Barrett, James Brown, Cass Daley, Leo Gorcey,
Louis Hayward, Patsy Kelly, Guy Lombardo, Butterfly McQueen,
Richard Pryor, Harland Sanders, Rudy Vallee, Johnny Weissmuller, Edgar Bergen, Dick Clark, Andy Devine,
Huntz Hall, George Jessel, Dorothy Lamour, Trini López, Pat O'Brien, Jay Silverheels, Clint Walker, Sally Struthersand
I. Stanford Jolley

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Fox is working on many strange titles for DVD I am told, including, finally an amamorphic 4.0 release of Garden of Evil!!! (Unusual western with awesome Bernard Herrmann score.

Now that is GREAT news!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The Billion Dollar Brain has never been released on DVD or VHS. I hear the two Beatles songs on the movie's soundtrack pretty much stopped the movie from being released to VHS and DVD. I think paramount does need to release this movie even if it means removing the two Beatles songs. It is the only movie in the Harry Palmer spy series starring Michael Caine not on DVD or VHS.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Ron, The Nude Bomb was released on laser disc
Yup, I own a copy and even wrote a review of it.

On-topic, Here Comes the Navy (1934) has never been released to any home video format. What makes this film, which starred James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, and Gloria Stuart (of Titanic fame), of exceptional interest is that much of it was shot on board the ill-fated U.S.S. Arizona, and thus it offers a rare glimpse into everyday life in the interwar American battleship navy.

RD

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Stinkers says Inchon! has never been released on home video.
That was an MGM film, financed by Rev Sung Yung Moon (of the Moonies infamy). Hasn't even gotten a TV airing in decades. Have never seen it, but have always been curious.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox is working on many strange titles for DVD I am told
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you be more specific, Stephen?

Garden of Evil is a gem. Herrmann's score is indeed awesome.

Thanks, Stephen.

Gordon, this was a quote from 'Joe Caps'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks