What's new

Move to Richmond, VA-Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everyone,
I have an opportunity to move to Richmond, VA. The company I work for bought another last year and is looking to increase the engineering staff down there...Currently located in Lehigh Valley area of PA. I work for a privately held company who's overall sales are and profitability are still up over last year despite all of the crap that's been going on, so I feel pretty good about the stability of the job...
Would like some opinions on the Richmond area? Been down there twice so far, and I like it.
Here's the thing, wife would need to find another job as well, she's a Chemical Engineer...Only thing I am really worried about is the economy going completing in the tank...and her have a really hard time finding something...we'd be looking to buy a house, looks like it might be a good time to do that, plus we rent now so nothing to sell...
Thanks for your time to respond and your opinions...
Later.
Randy

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Hey Randy - I've been living here in Richmond for 4 1/2 years and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat! Richmond definitely has above-average job opportunities since this area has not taken the kind of hits that other areas have with layoffs, etc. The local economy still seems very good here.
Also, the cost of housing here is VERY reasonable compared to other parts of the country. A brand-new 4 bedroom, 2-car garage, 2000+ square-foot house averages less than 200K here.
There's lots to do around here too, especially if you're a history buff. The location is also nice because of it's close proximity to all kinds of other attractions, such as the beach, skiing, Washington DC, etc. Richmond is more-or-less your average all-American city - not too big, not too small. Let me know if you have any more questions about anything.
Steve

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
If I ever move north again, it will be to Richmond. I love the area and have most of my friends and family there. But I just can't take winter anymore!
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Come on Adrian, Richmond is not exactly frozen tundra or anything! We've only had one real snowfall in the 4 years that I've been here - and one nasty ice storm!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, since when is Virginia in "winter" territory?
Although I'll take snow over ice/sleet though, that stuff is nasty and sometimes not visible.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Virginia is winter land when you talk to someone that lives in Central Florida. I went to the Virginia/Virginia Tech game last year in Blacksburg and had to deal with temperatures in the 20s and freezing rain. At home, it was a balmy 80. Now, you see why I haven't move back to Virginia. (Incidentally, I have spent all but the last 7 years of my life in Virginia.)
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Blacksburg is about the coldest spot in Virginia. I've lived in both Blacksburg and Richmond, and Richmond seems like a tropical paradise compared to Blacksburg.
If Randy is thinking of moving here from up in Pennsylvania, he's probably more likely to be bothered by our hot, muggy summers than by our winters. I'm sure it's colder where he is now.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I wasn't saying that the winter would be a problem for the original poster. It's just a problem for me. I'll be back in Richmond around Thanksgiving. It should be rather pleasant at that time of the year.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Ok there guys...ease up on the weather battle...
The hot & humid summers would be more of concern...having moved from Pittsburgh to the Lehigh Valley, the winters really aren't a big deal...growing up in the Burgh, we got snow...Lehigh Valley, not nearly as much...they close schools when there's like 2 inches on the ground. Yoi.
Cost of living is pretty comparable to where I am, except for housing costs...we get killed here because lots of commuters to NJ and NY drive them up. So that is good.
Location is good...not too much further from Pittsburgh when I drive out to see the family...now I need to find some work for the wife...gotta go search around for some stuff...
Thanks.
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks