What's new

More on A.I. and the World Trade Center (1 Viewer)

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I support OTP - Original Theatrical Presentation. That goes for audio, video and the rest. You can throw in a loud candy crackling, popcorn scarfing, cell phone ringing, baby crying, husband explaining to a clueless wife audio track with improper surround volume if so desired and mandated by this support. I want to see the movie as it appeared in the theater. That sentence ended with a period. This is how terrorism wins. We lose our freedoms. This is what they want. The greatest insult we could offer to those that died on 9/11 is to do them the disservice of erasing their memories. Now is not the time to back down or quit in our vigilance against terror, in whatever forms it may take. Not offering a movie in OTP is wrong and should not be. Make two versions if you must. We have P&S and Widescreen. I don't like P&S, but I don't mind it being sold as long as I have a choice and I can purchase my film as intended, in its OTP. Do not take away my choices. Do not take away my freedoms. I don't want us to crawl in a hole and hide until we die. We have to fight. Fight or flee.
Quit running.
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another way to look at it, Al, as long as we're arguing to absurd extremes. :)
Suppose the terrorists had set off a nuke and blown all of New York City off the map.
Would you then be in favor of discarding the entire last third of the movie?
All of the arguments you put forth in favor of deleting the Towers could then be used to argue against the release of the DVD at all.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Besides all that, you simply can't escape the point I and several others have made: every time we alter our lives to conform to the results of terrorism, THEY WIN.
furious.gif
[/quote] It's only a "point" if you equate someone's editing a film with "altering our lives". I can only speak for myself, of course, but my life wasn't altered when Lucas had Greedo shoot first, and it won't be altered if the WTC is removed from A.I.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 31, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
This thread is getting into some dangerous territory. Please everyone, do not let this get personal or political.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
That is bullshit! It's gotta be! No one could possibly have an advance copy of A.I THIS EARLY!!!!!!
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Tom Archey

Auditioning
Digitally erase the whole movie. A.I. is easily the worst movie I ever paid money to see.
Keep the towers in other movies. My $0.02.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Al,
Your condescending tone and ridiculous attempt at belittling the subject and HTF members is not appreciated. Overexaggerating the issue to ludicrous proportions in order to insult others and confuse the situation even more is an age old tactic and it is apparent & cheap.
I guess you missed the administrator's warning just a little earlier in the thread.
------------------
DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Overexaggerating the issue to ludicrous proportions in order to insult others and confuse the situation even more is an age old tactic and it is apparent & cheap.
There's simply no call for such belligerence, Charles.
My response was neither an insult and nor was it meant to confuse. I employed the age-old tactic of humor, black though it may be, to simply point out how exaggerated were your suggestions that such a revision would be an "admission to terrorists everyhwere that they've succeeded", and would "encourage their actions" and set "a dangerous precedent", all of which you deem "pathetic and downright un-American".
Indeed, someone here is guilty of "exaggerating the issue to ludicrous proportions in order to insult others and confuse the situation even more".
But it ain't me, babe.
And I suggest you do not further pursue your argument that those with whom you disagree are "pathetic and downright un-American". In case you hadn't noticed, this was a civil discussion until you showed up.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Al,
You trying to pass your smugness off as humor is laughable in itself. From the comments above, I'm not the only one that didn't appreciate it, so me being the only one doesn't fly either. Civility was thrown out the door when you thought it'd be cool to insult our efforts with your "black" humor. In fact, I was civil and have shown great restraint from your disrespect.
Back onto the subject. Terrorism wins if we let it effect our way of life. Altering our normal course of life (i.e. not going out, not spending money, eliminating references to said event, living in fear) is the ultimate goal for terrorists. Doing any of these shows weakness and despair. I for one do not want to see America disgraced. So IMHO eliminating the WTC from AI or any other film, book, historical document, etc shows that we're weak, that the terrorists succeeded, and it only encourages them to step up their plans to destroy us. It also disgraces the memory of those who perished in NYC, DC, and PA as well as the multitudes of military personnel, past & present, that have sacrificed their blood, sweat, tears, and lives to defend truth, justice, and the American way. American pride doesn't cower at the first sign of trouble or become too politically correct to remember and honor the past. That's not America. And revisionism is not an American ideal.
Thus Mr. Speilberg, I implore you not to tarnish your movie or the American personna by letting terrorism dictate your actions. If so, they've won. Fight the good fight and stick to your guns.
------------------
[Edited last by Charles Bober on November 01, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Al,
That was funny stuff :) :) :)!
Some people around here must be too PC to laugh, but you had me rolling!
Jeff

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jeff, but I really hope it's understood that it was not an attempt to insult anyone nor to confuse the issue. I'd hoped to provide some perspective to those who would otherwise assert that any deviation from our previous behavior, however trivial, or acknowledgment of the real consequences of the attack of 9/11, is in some way a "surrender". I guess I wasn't very successful in that, but nonetheless that was my motive.
Charles, I stand by everything I've said in this discussion, and I hope we can continue it without impugning one another's patriotism by labeling this or that action as un-American. I will continue to offer a contrary view to yours - and I may even resort to humor in those efforts - but I promise you that I won't engage in personal invective. And nor have I. I hope you'll see fit to do the same.
I guess this is where someone who's been accused of smugly taking up the mantle of the pathetic and un-American and for promoting a position that allows the terrorists to win would seek to assert their bona fides as an all-American hawk. Yes, I do believe that the most drastic military methods conceivable should be utilized to utterly destroy those who would destroy us. I have not the slightest bit of respect or tolerance for Dark Ages religious fundamentalists seeking to make war against modernity and free society. I accept that there may be no option other than their complete and utter destruction with a prejudice so extreme that it would make the atom bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki appear merciful in comparison.
None of which has anything to do with whether Speilberg should be at liberty to revise his film so that it reflects the sad reality that the World Trade Towers were destroyed in 2001. If he doesn't, so be it - it's a very brief shot, after all, that by itself could hardly mar such a brilliant film. If he does, however, I'd consider it completely justified and in no way an aquiescence to terrorism.
But I suppose this is the principle that some feel trumps narrative unity: revising a film in a way that acknowledges the reality of the events of 9/11 means to surrender to the terrorists. I don't find this in anyway persuasive, but it's an opinion that apparently garners no small support.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too PC to laugh. Just the opposite Jeff. In fact, if we go back to the beginning, I'm the one preturbed with the over-PCization of our culture following 09-11-01. But in this case, Al is making fun ("black" humor, whatever) of the members who are against revisionism and the deleting of the WTC from AI and other works. As a veteran myself, I'd like to think the ideals I defended aren't being discarded.
Now that the record is straight.............
------------------
[Edited last by Charles Bober on November 01, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
To try to re-steer this back to a happy non offensive non denomenational AI thread...
Does anyone feel that the recently announced info about E.T. and it's two versions bode well for Spielberg's vision of this film as it was originally presented?
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Osama bin Laden said:
Impressed though I am by the DTS audio track and wealth of special features on disc 2
Priceless! I can't say I agree with the sentiments re digital erasure, but this was satire worthy of The Onion.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks