What's new

More info on Yamaha RX-V1200/2200/HTR-5490 (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I too am going to take a look at the 5490. None of my local retailers seem to have themm in yet(BEST BUY or SEARS). I'll probably get the 5490 and try to price match it at SEARS if I can, just to get it cheaper. I notice some people have been saying that local BEST BUY already have them in stock. I wonder what's taking so long to ship it to CALI. Anyways, if anybody has done any testing on the 5490 please post your comments.
Thanks, Charles
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
Charles, See the post I put up earlier today ref. the 5490. My Best Buy just got them in, and there seem to be quite a few other places so they should be arriving soon. Another local retailer has the RX-V1200. Both prices retail are $899. MSRP for the 5490 is $849. Lowest I've found from an authorized dealer is $773.
Barry.

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
Check out this link for the difference between the RX-V lines and the HTR Lines.
Link Removed
product_navigation/spot2/
Barry.

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
OK, I'm giving serious consideration to purchase of either the RX-V1200 or the HTR-5490. They both seem to have all the connections and features I'm looking for but here are apparently some differences between them.
Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but what is the function of "preouts"? Apparently the 1200 has them but not the 5490? I live in a modest studio apartment and wonder if "preouts" are something I need or would regret not having later. Please enlighten me.
What is the function of the remote 12volt trigger on the 1200? I have several other components I would like to operate with the receiver's learning remote. Do I need the 12 volt trigger to do that?
On a more general note, when I take the plunge I will also need to get a surround speaker system. Any suggestions for a moderately priced speaker package for either of these receivers? I can't afford to spend a lot on speakers right now after the receiver purchase. I might be able to use the 30 year old stereo speakers I have for the main left & right and just purchase the new center and rears. But then again I might be better off just gettin a whole package. I don't really feel I want a subwoofer which would likely drive my neighbors and my dog up the wall.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but what is the function of "preouts"? Apparently the 1200 has them but not the 5490? I live in a modest studio apartment and wonder if "preouts" are something I need or would regret not having later. Please enlighten me

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
"Speakers. If you posted an approx. budget that would be a big help. I use Klipsch with my Yamaha and a lot of others do as well. However, not everyone agrees that this is a good combo. Some think that both are 'bright' and not a good match. It comes down to personal preferences WRT the sound of the speaker and speaker/amp combo.
Post your budget for the speakers and we can help."
Well I've been quoted the 5490 and 1200 receivers at roughly $700 to $800. More than I'd hoped to spend already, so I figure I'm looking at $200 to $300 max for speakers. Perhaps not very realitic. I simply can't afford to put a higher portion of my budget towards speakers right now. I know elsewhere I've seen people suggest spending much more on the speakers than the receiver, but the lower priced receivers just aren't offering the connections, etc. I'm looking for. Whatever I buy I expect to have for several more years.

Dan A

Agent
I spoke to J and R phone sales today and they expect to have the RX-V2200 in the store tomorrow or Monday for $900. They don't sell it mail order or by the web. I guess that's limited to the HTR line.

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
As far as differences between the 1200 and the 2200, there are at least two more that I can recall. I think the 2200 has a more advanced remote, with more programming capabilities acording to the manual. Also, the 2200 has the ability to select outputs to the recording unit, so you can watch one output while recording another. I think this would be a pretty handy option to have at times.
Barry

Dan A

Agent
Did you have any problems opening the 1200 and 2200 manuals on the Yamaha web site. As acrobat 3.0 launched I got error messages and then about 50 blank pages.

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
No, I was able to open, download, and print both of them with no problems. I have not seen a manual for the 5490 yet.
Barry.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Jim,
You may want to go with a lesser receiver, such as the Denon AVR-1802 and put the remainder towards the speaker budget. If you do that, you should be able to the Flaunce package and an Adire Audio Rava sub. That will give you an immediate surround package and quality sub. You can upgrade your speakers later on if you so desire. Another option would be to get Paradigm Titan mains, CC-170 center, and the Rava and use your current speakers for the surrounds.

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
Bryan, thanks for the advice. I'll probably start with some combo similar to that. Get some good main fronts, probably bookshelf and a good center and add the surrounds when my budget is recovered. As for the Denon receiver, I need in/out connections for two audio recording devices to take full advantage of the equipment I already have. That Denon model doesn't appear to have the connections. I'm still considering my options.
So has anyone actually seen the Yamaha RX-V2200 in the stores yet?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you could control the bass via the remote control, I would be very interested in the yamaha 1200 or 2200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks