What's new

Speaker suggestions for Yamaha RX-V1200 (6.1)? (1 Viewer)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
OK, I've given serious consideration to purchase of either the new Yamaha RX-V1200 or the HTR-5490. They both seem to have all the connections and features I'm looking for, but when I take the plunge I will also need to upgrade to a surround speaker system. My budget you say? Well when I started looking I'd hoped to find a receiver and some new speakers for aproximately $1000 (hey, it's been a few years since I shopped for equipment), but I've been quoted the 5490 and 1200 receivers at roughly $700 to $800. More than I'd hoped to spend already, but the lower priced receivers just aren't offering the connections, etc. I'm looking for. I can't afford to spend a lot on speakers right now after this receiver purchase added to my recent addition of a DVD/CD changer.
So I figure I'm looking at $200 to $500 max towards speakers. Perhaps not very realitic? And whatever I do get I'll probably have for several more years. Any suggestions for a moderately priced speaker package for either of these receivers? Or should I just get a good center and new main L/R pair, using my 30 year-old stereo speakers for rears and pickup a center rear later (this receiver has connection for a center rear speaker)? I don't really feel I want a subwoofer which would likely drive my neighbors and my dog up the wall. But then again would I be better off just getting a package like the JBL NSP1, Acoustic Research HC1 or similar for now? I have a modest studio apartment and no need or desire to blow out the walls at high volumes.
Of course whatever I do I'll have to listen to them before purchase, but I'm looking for suggestions on a place to start.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do, consider PSB Image series speakers. Either buying them down there in NY or heading up here, you'll get lots of speaker for your dollar, especially right now. I bought PSB Image series speakers and I'm very happy. Clean sound, efficient and nice looking too.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I agree that the PSB Image series is very good, but might be a little out of your price range. For less money, consider Paradigm Phantom towers for the front, with Titan bookshelfs for the rears, or Titans all around.

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
So are you suggesting I should go for a complete package of speakers now or start building with a couple better (more expensive) pieces for now and build on to my setup as I set aside more money in a few months?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks