What's new

More Anthem AVM20 Questions (1 Viewer)

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose this should go under the other The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread but its already at about 20 pages and my question keeps getting lost in the shuffle. Maybe this should be part II of that thread? Anyway:

Am I the only one that hates to reset the surround modes each time the power goes out or after and upgrade? Why wouldn't this be saved with the rest of the settings? I've mentioned it two or three times previously and I'm not sure if it was just ignored or no one else feels the same. Just a thought. I think I might call or write to request this feature, but it would probabley get a lot more attention if there were sevearl of us that inquired about it. Is anyone else interested in having this "fixed"?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I remember Brian Fitterman responding to this on the other thread saying he wanted the settings saved as well. Have you submitted an e-mail to Sonic Frontiers about this to see if it can be a software coding change in a future upgrade?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

Having now gone through several software installs in the last two weeks and now a power outage last night, I would agree that having to reset the surround mode by source is a bit of an annoyance. It seems like this should be saved but isn't. Maybe Anthem is unaware that the surround mode is not saved.

What would be kind of slick is to allow the AVM-20 is set within the menus a default "2 channel" surround mode by source. So, whenever you power up, this default would be loaded by source. All you would have to do is set this once in the setup menus and you would always have it, assuming it gets saved with the other setup values. This would even allow you to play with the surround modes for a specific listening session, turn off the AVM-20, and then turn it on later with the stored defaults returned.

Michael

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one that wanted this feature. I will call tomorrow to ask and send a follow up email right after.

I agree with your suggestion, Michael, but I say we take it a step further. Why not just have an additional menu in setup where you can define each source's surround mode as well as THX parameters? That way you wouldn't have to go to each one hit mode several times, set THX, etc. Then that would be saved with all the other settings as well. This seems like a logical extension of what we already is already a great feature set.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
And while your at it ask them to put in the ablility to save different speaker configurations for each source too. So I can set my mains to large when listening to my cd player and then small with the sub when I press dvd, then I won't have to change it all the time.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"And while your at it ask them to put in the ablility to save different speaker configurations for each source too."
I am just speculating, but there may be room available to code this change. Some people would have loved B&K's Presets feature in the AVM-20, but I don't think there is room and I am not sure what Anthem thinks about that feature.
But saving the setup configuration by input source may be possible, especially since the Bryston SP-1/SP1.7 has this version of the feature and they use the Motorola 56366/56367 chipsets just like the AVM-20 v1.x/v2.x.
Actually, these are two of the four changes I would like to see in the AVM-20. That would be saving the surround processing mode by input source (or allowing a default setting in the setup menus by input source), allowing a setup configuration by input source as described above, and two more changes.
I would like to see some adjustable parameters for the AnthemLogic modes, much like DPL II Music mode. I like AnthemLogic, but sometimes I wish I could tweak the adjustments slightly.
I would also like to see more flexibility in processing the LFE (.1) channel. Mind you, no one else using the Motorola 56367 chipset is doing this, but who says that Anthem can't be the first?
The current design adds any present LFE channel to the subout channel BEFORE its crossover (or the global crossover). Set a crossover too low (like 50-60 Hz) and the LFE channel will get chopped. Some people may not realize this is happening but it is with the AVM-20 and all other "56366/56367" processors.
Here are some suggestions.
  • Add an option to allow the user to add the entire LFE channel to the subout AFTER the subout's crossover.
  • Add an option to allow the user to route the entire LFE channel to SUB2.
  • Add an option to allow the user to route the LFE channel to both the mains and the subwoofer before their respective crossovers.
Michael

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Michael,
I think the problem adding presets such as the B&K would possibly require a new hardware upgrade, The Motorola 56366/56367 family has an internal I/O to address external memory (a secondary memory source). I'm not sure what or how much external memory Anthem has available or if they even placed this feature of the Motorola in use?
If they indeed did, then it's just some code to be added.
I would not think that B&K added more then a meg or two extra memory to accomplish their feature set. How much memory does it take to store 80 presets (40 for both zones)and the code to do so, also since the B&K does remember configurations per input source not utilizing a single preset, would account for just a bit more memory.
This would be a question best answered by Anthem.
I have no clue, I would be interested in an answer.
It can't be all that difficult as the Denon AVRs & the old pre-pro have had similar for many years, they call it personal memory plus.
Denon would save configurations per source.
For all we know Anthem just may have this change taking place now, kind of like the 56366 to 56367 production run change, new chips added and make it part of the next hardware upgrade.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jerry,
"I'm not sure what or how much external memory Anthem has available or if they even placed this feature of the Motorola in use?"
It is my understanding with the software installs AVM-20 owners have been performing that there is more than one location within the AVM-20 where the software gets installed. Sounds like the external memory requirement you have mentioned here.
I never found much use for the Presets during my auditions, but I really did like the configuration setup feature that was in the Bryston SP-1 (and now the SP1.7). I think the latter is possible, whereas the Presets feature would require significant software changes (or a licensing fee from B&K). So, if you really desire the Presets feature, then it sounds like a B&K or Denon is in your future.
We are just guessing at this time, and hopefully we can have some fun with it. There hasn't been a processor that I have auditioned or owned where I didn't want to make at least one change or feature addition to it. The AVM-20 is no exception, despite the fact that were I to do it all over again, I would purchase the AVM-20. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it improved. :)
Michael

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it improved.
Agreed, I think that stands true for everything I purchase.
I'm always looking at ways to improve, Even had to decompile some code to get there.
I didn't say that;)
I think I have the tool-man virus, More power!
You should see my garden in mid summer..... it's scary we even eat from it.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
A meg or two...no where near that. We are talking about 1K. If that. Each setting is just a byte or in memory. The software knows where to get it.

Pre-sets are a bit much to ask for. That is a big change. But saving the last used setting is something that even the cheapest receiver does and is not asking to much.

Everyone should email Anthem RIGHT NOW. This will get their attention.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to someone at Anthem this afternoon and he told me that the Anthem engineers/programmers are working on a "major" upgrade that will include saving the surround mode for each source as well as adjustable speaker levels for each source. I suppose there will be some other things too, but he didn't specify. In terms of a time frame, he didn't know. I seriously doubt we'll see anything before the 1st of the year, however.

He also said that these upgrades/bug fixes are far more work then they had anticipated. They, Anthem engineers, thought that things would have slowed down after the 2.0 upgrade, but it seems that people keep requesting more new features. It appears they're doing their best to accomadate everyone!

I thanked him for the excellent hardware and software and told him that I spoke for a lot of other Anthem owners as well. That said, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with this comment. I figured that most people are pleased with Anthem and their commitment to their products and customers.

I plan on writting a letter to their corporate offices telling them how pleased I am with their service and products. In the interest of seeing further improvements in this and other products, I humbly suggest that each of you try to do the same. There are so many poorly run companies out there, I feel it my duty to really praise the one's DTRT.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I spoke to someone at Anthem this afternoon and he told me that the Anthem engineers/programmers are working on a "major" upgrade that will include saving the surround mode for each source as well as adjustable speaker levels for each source."
If the "adjustable speaker levels for each source" means the speaker setup parameters for each source, then Anthem will be including the two most desired features being requested.
"He also said that these upgrades/bug fixes are far more work then they had anticipated."
It's unfortunate that they had to spend a lot of time chasing down software bugs and the fixes, but such is the life in software development (having done so myself for 20 years). OTOH, I would like to think that the AVM-20 dialogue on the forums and Anthem's responses to the various bugs may have swayed some to purchase the AVM-20. Hopefully they have regained some of the operating costs via increased sales. I wonder what our sales commission percentage should be? :)
"They, Anthem engineers, thought that things would have slowed down after the 2.0 upgrade, but it seems that people keep requesting more new features. It appears they're doing their best to accomadate everyone!"
I wonder how long they can do that within the cost scheme of the AVM-20? Obviously they aren't making money off of the free software upgrades we would be getting (well, the next "major" one may not be free), so it would have to be with additional sales.
Michael

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
The actions of Anthem speak volumes. Clearly they plan on being in the upscale pre/pro business for the long term. Their continued efforts to supply their knowledgeable customers with the features they demand/request and to promptly address the inevitable bugs is praiseworthy. I suspect Anthem is also learning a lot about what their customer expects and desires in their HT hardware. I can only imagine the specifications and features the Director will have, no doubt influenced to some degree by those untiring souls (i.e. Michael) posting here. They sure did a good job on my AVM-20 and their continued work to support the product leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy :) .
Wayne P

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I *almost* asked if they would be charging for the upgrade, but didn't want to open my big mouth...as I have often done before!

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount for an upgrade objectionable, provided that the content warrented a fee. Bug fixes should be free, but I don't think they're out of line charging for additional features.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I plan on writting a letter to their corporate offices telling them how pleased I am with their service and products. In the interest of seeing further improvements in this and other products, I humbly suggest that each of you try to do the same.
Mike, first of all, thank you for contacting Anthem with your suggested software additions to the AVM-20.

I took the time to write a letter of thanks a few weeks ago to Anthem and also forwarded a copy to Paradigm.

Both manufacturers equipment reside in my home. I wanted the Paradigm group to know their investment in Sonic Frontiers/Anthem is appreciated by their customer base with exceptional attention to service and products.

Neither company is perfect by any means, but they have served me well the past few years.

Thanks again,
Charles

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Oh Lord, let's hope Mike L is right about the next big upgrade. And that it includes speaker config. per source!

I too am amazed though, at Anthems willingness to please their customer. How many other companies have done this? If they keep listening and implementing they could have a "perfect" (easy now, see the quote marks) pre-pro on their hands. Is that possible? Yes it isn't a Nagra or a Levinson killer, but in it's price piont and apples to apples, maybe (imho of course). I just hope that Anthem doesn't stop and say, "look this is all you get. If you want more then buy the Director or wait 'til an AVM21 comes out.
On another threads post someone stated that Anthem would suffer from Paradigm buying them and big buisness etc... I think this is not the case. Did anyone happen to catch the article in the Jan issue of "Home Theater" on Paradigm? The last few paragraphs make me think we are in good hands.
Reading on this forum and in publications and on their site all the things they are saying and doing assures me that after 3 years of home work, I made the right choice. (I think)

On a side note; If we were living in the Matrix, do you think Michael Mohrmann would be "The One"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks