What's new

Monster cable Z series Z1R reference (1 Viewer)

SAPSEC

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
Hi folks,

While working on Monster Z series Z1R reference speaker cable I see there is a stick in the middle of twisted copper strands. What is the stick in the middle for ? I guess they put it there to make cable look "bigger" ? I can't find gauge information of this cable. Is it 14 or 12 gauge rated ? Thanks for your advice.

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
With Monster, I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct, it's probably just there to make the cable thicker. Years ago I decided to see what was inside one of their interconnect cables and when I opened it up, it looked very familiar. I had some cheap, really cheap, cables I bought at a Ham Radio show, and if they weren't made in the same factory with the same people soldering them, I would be shocked. The only difference I could see was the jacket on the cable was thicker and it was a prettier cable, but the guts appeared identical. Since then, the only time I've bought Monster was at stores going out of business at 50%+ off. It's Monoprice, Bjue Jeans, and a couple more for me these days.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Monster Cables are generally one of the biggest ripoffs in home audio/video. You get nothing extra for their extremely high prices. I just use generic 12 gauge copper speaker wire for my main system, and it works fine at a fraction of the price. Same with interconnects, especially now with all digital connections.

Last edited:

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
I use 12 gauge for my surrounds with some 10 gauge for the fronts and centers. Overkill with them being as short as they are, but I have the set made already from years ago, so I use them over and over. I'm kind of sad to see a lot of the speaker cable sold now is that copper clad aluminum junk so you have to check it carefully to see what your ordering. I almost bought some of it at a store a while back. I didn't get it, and looked it up online and saw it was the garbage stuff. It wasn't really very cheap either. It looked good at first glance.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I'm in work on lunch but I'll send a link for some great 10guage very high strand count, highest i have found yet OFC. CHEAP price as well.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I would never use the "Monster" brand of cable. Cable is NOT the only HT item that is overpriced. I can't believe the prices people pay for speakers!! My HT is a 7.2 version with all Pro Cinema JBL's including two 18 subs and I didn't pay as much for 11 speakers speakers as some folks pay for 2 "specialty" speakers. Granted all 11 are used but if the cones are in great shape there's nothing wrong with a used speaker IMO.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
https://www.altex.com/Pro-Sound-102...P140342.aspx?gclid=CJqH0_fhpMUCFdcRgQodiFAAig
Ok first of all I have to say one thing. The first time I heard an improvement in my system with wire was with a monster cable interconnect between my compact disc player and integrated amplifier. I have always been skeptical but hearing is believing and I kept on digging for reasons it sounded better. First of all electrons travel on the outside of the wire not inside like water flows through a pipe. There is the goal. Multiple wires and wire count. I have a good system and I am using 10AWG not just for numbers, I am a crazy person that wants the resistance to be non existent. I want to help my amp to pass current and to increase the damping factor. I have a crazy amp that is stable down to a short circuit. It is an Anthem P5 Statement. I know it will tolerate a lot of different gauges and lengths but why not help with low resistance and capacitance and damping factor. This is why I use this wire. It is cheap and will definitely help any amp to get the signal to the speaker very purely.

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
The wire in the link looks identical to the wire I use for my fronts. It's very "limp" with a huge amount of individual strands. It's got to be 20 years old at least, as I bought it when I moved my set up from the basement to the living room. I thought I had some of the banana plugs that took up to 8 gauge wire that I used on them when I put them together, but it looks like the disappeared in my move, as did a bunch of small stuff. I run 14 gauge for my surrounds and I have a 150 roll of that wire ready to go as soon as I get ambitious enough to start soldering cables together (I trust crimped and soldered, I'm old enough to remember so many problems with the screw clamp type of any plugs). I need to just get my taxes together and get that to the accountant, and then I can play home theater!

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I terminated mine with compression fittings from parts express. The fittings are swappale, the ends screw on and off to change from pin, bannana plug, or spades. You need a special tool to do it, but once its done it is strong and extremely secure.
Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks