What's new

Momitsu BDP-899 Setup (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Just received a Momitsu BDP-899 BluRay Region Free player and setup the unit as follows:

To change the OSD language from Japanese to English:
From the remote select Setup, and using the arrow keys, right, down, down, down, right and enter.
TV Type: NTSC
TV Aspect: 16 x 9
Resolution: 1080P (Selecting Auto disables the video converter)
Digital output: Bitstream Legacy for SPDIF receivers.
Ethernet input for BD-Live and firmware updates. You can also download an update on a CD-R/RW and play the CD in the player.

The region code setting is entered using the remote. The code is 9735 followed by the standard DVD region code of "0" and the BluRay of 1=A, 2=B and 3=C. For North America the code would be 973501. For now there is no single Region-Free setting for BluRay.

After setup, which took about 30 seconds, I tested the player using the following DVD's. The Boys From Brazil BluRay Region B 1080P PAL, Days of Thunder BluRay 1080P NTSC, Boys from Company "C" Std DVD Region 2 PAL, Red Cliff Std DVD Region 3 PAL.

The Momitsu player is hooked to a Sony Bravia 52" NTSC LCD via HDMI and Sony SPDIF DD/DTS 5.1 receiver via Digital Optical. The LCD was able to perfectly display each DVD confirming the unit does include a video converter. The receiver converted both DD and DTS 5.1.

I then watched the complete DVD movies of Days of Thunder (BluRay and Driven (Std DVD). There was a very visible difference in the detail quality of Days of Thunder compared to the upconverted Driven. Driven looked really good as the player does a nice job of up-converting, but Days of Thunder was fabulous.

Momitsu is a nice BluRay/DVD player if you need a region-free unit that sells for a reasonable price. Otherwise, you can buy a regular BluRay player and save yourself $100.00 unless you want that new Denon.

I purcahsed the player for HKFlix.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks for your comments, Ernest. I've been considering this player for a while since I'm tired of seeing things come out in Region B and then waiting and waiting to hear if it's region free or not. I'll need to get an HDMI switch if I add another piece to my setup, though. Oh, what an expensive hobby! ;)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
When I played "From Dusk to Dawn, SD DVD Anamorphic Widescreen 16 x 9 PAL Region 4, the picture was very jerky and robotic. I then changed the resolution to 480i/576i to allow the Sony Bravia to upconvert to 1080P. This worked and the picture displayed perfectly and was very sharp and clear.

I then played Boys From Brazil, BluRay 1080P PAL, and the video displayed perfectly on the Sony LCD and was fabulous. This confirms the resolution settings for playing PAL DVD's and BluRay.

PAL Settings:
SD DVD: 480i
BluRay: 1080P

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

Yes and no. While the vast majority of films are encoded as 1080p/24 worldwide, there are a few titles in PAL territories that are 1080i/50, which could be described as HD PAL.

These discs won't play on the vast majority of North American players, even if the discs themselves have no region coding.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
My mistake I should not have indicated Boys From Brazil was PAL when the packaging states 1080P.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

You might want to add display setting to 16:9PB to ensure that all BD extras play in their proper AR (Any region).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

You can have PAL extras on a Wee-jun Bee BD. I have one such disc so far.

I'm really enjoying my Momitsu. I'm Wee-jun emancipated.

Unless one will never play an Academy Ratio BD or DVD, 16:9PB should be chosen for aspect.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
After further testing PAL DVD's various regions I discovered the jittering and robotic movement was a result of conflicting 3 -2 pulldown. The first time I setup the player I set the resolution to 1080P/24. At the time I did not think to turn off the 3 - 2 pulldown function in my 52" Sony Bravia and 47" Vizio.

When I changed the resolution in the players to 1080i/24 the jittering and robotic movement stopped. I then realized the 3 - 2 pulldown was causing the shaky picture structure because both the player and LCD's were performing the function. With the resolution at 1080i/24 the Sony and Vizio would upconvert to 1080P and process 3 - 2 pulldown.

For now I set the resolution in both Momitsu players to 1080P/24 and turned off the 3 - 2 pulldown in both LCD's HDMI inputs. The 3 - 2 pulldown continues to work for all the other inputs.

The upconverted PAL DVD's look great and the jittering and robotic movement has been completely eliminated.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had any luck connecting to BD-Live with this player? I have a LAN cable attached, but no IP or MAC address read out on the menu. BD-Live access tells me my player has to be connected to the internet. I know the connection is fine because my Toshiba HD-A2 automatically configures it and it's active. Any tips?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Have you gone into the setup menu to determine whether the settings are correct for your network? Sometimes the default setting on the playeris completely wrong for your network.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not quite sure what you mean. There are 2 options in one area (Block Invalid Access & Always Allow Access) along with Dynamic and Manual IP settings. I've tried both and nothing seems to work. When I plug the cable in the screen says "Link Up", if I unplug it it reads "Link Down", but no IP readout or MAC address.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I'm really feeling the urge to go region-free and am leaning towards this player.

My TV is component only, so I would need to run HDMI for audio and component for video. Are there any problems with doing this on the Momitsu?

Also - I first read about this player over at DVD Beaver. Just checking, but the version they sell is the same as everywhere else, where you have to input the codes via the remote to set the region?

Those of you who have had this machine a while - has it been good to you?

Thanks for any info!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Ted Kontos ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]I'm not quite sure what you mean. There are 2 options in one area (Block Invalid Access & Always Allow Access) along with Dynamic and Manual IP settings. I've tried both and nothing seems to work. When I plug the cable in the screen says "Link Up", if I unplug it it reads "Link Down", but no IP readout or MAC address.
Sounds like they've really dumbed it down. Is there an advanced option?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams

I'm really feeling the urge to go region-free and am leaning towards this player.

My TV is component only, so I would need to run HDMI for audio and component for video. Are there any problems with doing this on the Momitsu?

Also - I first read about this player over at DVD Beaver. Just checking, but the version they sell is the same as everywhere else, where you have to input the codes via the remote to set the region?

Those of you who have had this machine a while - has it been good to you?

Thanks for any info!
I don't see why using component video should be a problem. I've played mine both ways, HDMI and component for video. The audio was always HDMI.

When you turn off the player it automatically reverts to Wee-jun A/1 settings. Next time out, you set it again if necessary.

The only thing weird mine has done was throw out some digital noise when right at the very end of the Sexy Beast, Wee-jun B, when I decided to back it up to see something in the credits. I don't think that was a big deal. I had to hit Stop to put an end to it. The Momitsu, like a great amny other players, has problems, it freezes at some point in T2 Skynet Edition. As far as I'm concerned that's a defective disc from what I've heard. I don't have it. I'm really happy with my deck. I usually only use it for the other Wee-jun's BD's and DVD's.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Has anyone tried updating the firmware for this player? I downloaded the update from the Momitsu site and tried it on both a CD and USB keys and the player didn't recognize the files.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Worth

Has anyone tried updating the firmware for this player? I downloaded the update from the Momitsu site and tried it on both a CD and USB keys and the player didn't recognize the files.
I've had mine since April and have not tried to update the FW. No need to, so far. It's played everything fine, although I only use it for import BDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks