What's new
World Wide Stereo

modding my scientific atlantic hd-dvr 8300 (1 Viewer)

iami

Grip
Real Name
Sean
i just got my own hd-dvr, and i love recording movies, the problem is i can only fit 5-10 on the included hard drive. is there anyway to hook up a external firewire drive to the dvr to get maximum space?? this would really save my life, or ruin it. whatever. thanks for the help!

728x90

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does your box have a fire-wire port to connect an external drive? Is so, does the software support this? I hate sending people away from here, but the HDTV Recording section over at AVS will have the most information. It may even be down to your local cable company and what software version they support.

-Robert

Rick89114

Grip
Real Name
Richard
My SA 8300 has a SATA port on the back, I do not have an external drive but my cable support website (Cox) just shows a external drive plugged into the port for expansion. I believe you have to have the drive powered ALL the time for it to work. I may just pick up a drive sometime as our DVR seems to always be full. Chatter on the local cox usenet also mentioned hooking external drive to PC and copying the files will not work, the drive will have what ever security key on it to link it to your specific DVR box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks