What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

MLB Hot Stove League 2006-2007 (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Papelbon is now the closer in Boston again. He swears he wants to close and this has nothing to do with Timlin's injury..

Meanwhile the Braves sign their catcher McCann to a 6 yr 26.8 million dollar extension. They say the new ownership has nothing to do with this deal since it's rather odd. He only has 2 years of major league service..

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The only concern I have centers on how adamant the Sox said their doctors were that Papelbon's shoulder wasn't built to take the abuse of pitching on a daily basis. They said his physique was much better geared for being slotted into a rotation.

Now, as the season is ready to begin and the Sox are rotation-wealthy and bullpen-destitute...all the sudden the team line is: "he's been undergoing a shoulder-strengthening regimen and has been proclaimed a-ok to return to his closer position.

Believe me, I'm thrilled to have him back as closer based on his performance last year. But if they screw the kid up for the long-term...the Sox will only be shooting themselves in the foot.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Julian Tavarez does not meet my standard of "rotation-wealthy". Granted, he's probably just keeping a seat warm for Jon Lester or you-know-who.

This really ticks me off, though. The "closer" role just really isn't that important - Detroit made it to the World Series with Todd freakin' Jones pitching the ninth last year - and I'd much rather see Papelon pitching 180 innings than about 75.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Me neither. Even though the Sox have announced Tavares as a starter...there are enough days off in April/May to mean he'll see limited innings until Lester is ready to step-in full-time in May.

On the issue of you-know-who: I don't think the Sox want him. I'd say Boston is a distant third on his short list anyway.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That depends on how good your starting rotation is. Detroit had a killer starting rotation last year(the best in the league if memory serves).

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

It helps when Joel Zumaya is setting up that 9th for you as well. Detroit has the same pitching staff back, and now Maroth is healthy and looking good, so should give the Tigers another strong run this year, add in Sheffield, and things just look good. The central division has four legit contenders for the division.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Which is part of the point - the lights-out guy in the ninth isn't nearly as important as people think. I forget where I read it, but there was speculation that Lleyland was calculatedly using Jones as the "closer" (defined as The Guy Who Gets The Save) while using his really good young pitchers in the seventh and eighth, where the game is often more likely to actually be on the line.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The interesting thing with Prior is whether the Cubs put him on the DL (though he has insisted he is 100% healthy) or send him to the minors. I bet he'll go on the DL with some vague shoulder injury.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brian: I'm sorry to report you were the first person who came to mind when I heard the news yesterday about Wood. :frowning:

It really is a sad story.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Talk radio is having a field day on the topic that Steve Swindal leaving the Yankee organization (the kind of thing that happens when you get divorced from the boss's daughter!) might bring George Steinbrenner back into the foreground into some of the Yankee decision-making.

Swindal seems to be generally characterized in the press as a buffer between Steinbrenner and Cashman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks