What's new

Mitsubishi WS-55807 for $1000 a good buy? (1 Viewer)

aeveritt

Agent
I was in our local Sears yesterday and, as usual, walked over to the electronics section to look. As I got there I overheard a man and a woman argueing. The salesperson politely told the woman that the other guy was there first and had first shot at the television. The other woman stormed off. I asked the sales lady, who knows me, why there was such a commotion over a television. She said it was the last new set that they had in that model and they were getting rid of it for $1000. My ears perked up and I suddenly understood the situation. Well, the guy was still there pondering the purchase and apparently wasn't as interested in the set because it wasn't the "right shape". I believe he wanted a 4:3 set. I hung close by as I could tell he was less than committed to the purchase. Anyway, he eventually walked off and I moved in and marked the box "sold" with a black sharpie I found as I then went back to the sales lady and purchased the set. She even offered 12 months same-as-cash financing without me even asking if I used my Sears card.
I really wasn't in the market for another big screen set but at the price I just couldn't look away. It was kind of like in "A Bug's Life" when the bug flies head on into the bug zapper. The set is definately an upgrade over what I have and I'm pretty sure I can sell my current set to recover much of the cost of the new set. I wish I had the opportunity to ask questions here about the new set before I purchased it but I knew it would be history if I didn't purchase it on the spot. Anyway, in retrospect, how is this set? Interested in the good, bad, and the ugly.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Someone didn't want the set because it wasn't the right "shape"? What a damn fool! J6P makes another appearance!

Brian_J

Second Unit
That's an insane price! I bet you could sell it right now for a nice profit if you had to.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Great price, about 1/3 less than what I paid for it.
Consider yourself "in the right place at the right time!"
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
One word!
SCORE!
Even though I am waiting to get the 65 inch If I had come across that model @ that price I would have been all over it!
SNOOGANS!

aeveritt

Agent
It seemed as though Sears was "cleaning house" Saturday. They were apparently getting rid of a lot of prior year models of what appeared to be mostly televisions and receivers. The RPTV models had been wiped out completely with the exception of this one. As I was watching the guy load mine in the loading area, there were two other people loading RPTV's into their trucks. One was a Hitachi Ultravision and the other was a Sony. Anyway, the Mitsubishi I bought had a price on it of $3499.99 and for some reason had been marked down in the computer to about $2,000. The sale they were having that day was for 50% off so that brought the final price down to what I paid. I'm surprised that they weren't applying the 50% off to the original price only. Even that would have been a good deal.
I have hooked up the set and it really has a nicer picture than I had expected "out of the box". I played around a little with some of the user settings and have gotten it even slightly better. I looked around a little on www.hometheaterspot.com as suggested and found a post on how to get into some of the service settings. I'm not going to rush into making any changes there until the set settles in and I also want to read a little more on what settings are worth tweaking.
[Edited last by aeveritt on August 27, 2001 at 09:03 AM]

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
That TV is awesome, especially if you take some time and do some of the hundreds of tweaks there are for it. What I did was start with the tweaks that seemed easiest, and as my understanding and knowledge grew, so did the level of tweaks that I attempted.
You will not regret your purchase (especially at that insane price!)
Have fun!!
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks